What's new

Verizon's network has yet to be tested.

sdblue

Reaction score
Aren't you a bit worried about how Verizon's network is going to be able to handle all the heavy traffic after the 10th? All the early tests from various tech blogs touting Verizon's strong network for the iphone is a bit misleading I think.

Well, I'm still on the fence whether I should buy the Verizon iphone or switch my service to ATT. I'm probably going to give the Verizon iphone a try, however, several things have crossed my mind if it really is worth buying:

1) data speed - can anyone chime in just how "slow" it is? I mean, if I'm trying to connect to ESPN or CNN are we talking upwards of 20 seconds? Just how "bad" is the youtube quality? From what I've heard, it's not smooth on the Verizon network; I hear there's a lot of pixelation if you try to view streaming videos.

2) resale value - have you given any thought about how much a Verizon iphone will fetch on ebay, for example? I figure since it's a CDMA phone, it won't command as much money as it's ATT counterpart. So if and when the next generation iphone is released this could be a problem, don't you think?

3) iphone 5 release - when you decided to buy your iphone 4 were you aware of the possibility that the iphone 5 might be released in the summer?

4) long-time contract - my Verizon contract is going to come to an end in the near future. If I decide to buy now, I will be signed into a new 2-year contract. If there is one quibble I have with Verizon, it's this, their contract. The iphone 4 is already almost a year old, and when my 2-year contract ends, it will be a nearly 3-year old phone. ATT's policy, I hear, allows iphone customers who are already on a contract are eligible to upgrade at a discounted price - why can't Verizon do this as well?

Last edited:
Aren't you a bit worried about how Verizon's network is going to be able to handle all the heavy traffic after the 10th? All the early tests from various tech blogs touting Verizon's strong network for the iphone is a bit misleading I think.

I for one am not worried at all. I believe Verizon to be a stronger network, I haven't felt misled at all.

1) data speed - can anyone chime in just how "slow" it is? I mean, if I'm trying to connect to ESPN or CNN are we talking upwards of 20 seconds? Just how "bad" is the youtube quality? From what I've heard, it's not smooth on the Verizon network; I hear there's a lot of pixelation if you try to view streaming videos.

Not slow at all, Safari connects to all the websites I've gone to within seconds, as in under 5 seconds! As for YouTube, the quality is awesome, better than my Blackberry or Droid for sure. The screen is amazing on the iPhone 4.

2) resale value - have you given any thought about how much a Verizon iphone will fetch on ebay, for example? I figure since it's a CDMA phone, it won't command as much money as it's ATT counterpart. So if and when the next generation iphone is released this could be a problem, don't you think?

I'm not worried about resale value, so it's a non issue for me. It would all be speculation as to what the resale would actually be, people will buy anything though!

3) iphone 5 release - when you decided to buy your iphone 4 were you aware of the possibility that the iphone 5 might be released in the summer?

Yes I knew there was that possibility I think we all did and do, theres no guarantee though and will there be enough substantial upgrades between the 2 phones to entice me to purchase the newest iPhone remains to be seen.

4) long-time contract - my Verizon contract is going to come to an end in the near future. If I decide to buy now, I will be signed into a new 2-year contract. If there is one quibble I have with Verizon, it's this, their contract. The iphone 4 is already almost a year old, and when my 2-year contract ends, it will be a nearly 3-year old phone. ATT's policy, I hear, allows iphone customers who are already on a contract are eligible to upgrade at a discounted price - why can't Verizon do this as well?

This phone in my opinion is amazing, smooth, fast, efficient, apps are superior and the list goes on. There are contracts with all companies so once again a non issue, if I feel the next iPhone is irresistible I will buy it. Verizon/Apple will most likely offer discount pricing for existing iPhone owners, I'd sell my iPhone 4 on eBay/Craigslist and purchase the new phone, done deal.

I do not regret for one second purchasing the iPhone 4, the thing is amazing! This phone will work the same 2 and 3 years from now, unlike many of the other phones out there that no longer receive software updates from their manufacturers. I think the whole point of this phone "being a year old" proves that point, so it's a year old and STILL works flawless. Thats enough for me.

Just my 2 cents!

With all the smart phones already on VZW using data I don't think it will be an impact in service at all.
You have to realize that nearly all the iPhones purchased will be replacing an already in use smart phone.
Just an opinion.

Cya

Well, I'm still on the fence whether I should buy the Verizon iphone or switch my service to ATT. I'm probably going to give the Verizon iphone a try, however, several things have crossed my mind if it really is worth buying:

So what's the deal? Are you an AT&T fanboy, or are you just pissed because you thought it would be a good idea to use your upgrade on an Incredible a few months ago and don't have it for the iPhone? It's got to be one or the other....

Always something better coming down the line but, I can live with this baby for awhile, it does what I want and need and even more for now. (glad I didn't wait).

This is all I need to see. No testing necessary.

verizon_map.jpg

This is all I need to see. No testing necessary.

verizon_map.jpg

LMFAO HELLLL YEAAAA VERIZON FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Except I wish they gave us cool features such as unlimited texting to non-verizoners. But that's what I got my Textfree app (with voice) for!! Been using it and love it. No extra 10 dollars. hehehehe.

I dont think that verizons network will feel much of a sting from the iphone because it already has a host of android phones that use probably just as much data if not more than the iphone. Another reason is that data plays second fiddle to voice on their network. Even though a lot of people are using smart phones now does not mean that they use them to their full potential either.

that chart is really inaccurate

Meh. Not really. AT&T has very little 3G coverage outside of major cities. Basically Verizon's entire network is 3G, with few exceptions. AT&T's edge network is pretty huge, but their 3G isn't.

It's no accurate if you're comparing 3G to EDGE, as AT&T would like you to do. It's not accurate if you're comparing 3G to voice service, which AT&T would LOVE you to think it is.

It's totally accurate when comparing 3G coverage.

I was talking about the fact that their coverage in San Fransisco and NYC ;)