What's new

Using another computer to download ios5

badabing04

Reaction score
When i first got my iPhone 4 last year I used my laptop at home to set it up and I believe it is my 'primary' computer (for want of a better phrase) for syncing and updating my phone. I also use my Mums PC to organise photos and stuff on my phone as everytime i use my laptop it takes forwever to do anything.

I have tried to download ios5 on my laptop, but after it had taken an hour (which it did tell me it would) to download and was ready to start to do what it does it said that there wasnt enough space on my hard drive. I cleared space and since then everytime I try to update it gets to the back up bit right at the start of the process and just freezes.

I have tried to download the update off of my Mums pc but before it starts it warns me I will lose all info on my phone...so obviously I havent done that and I am humbly asking for any advice or any suggestions as to get the update...without losing all my stuff?

many thanks in advance

I have tried to download ios5 on my laptop, but after it had taken an hour (which it did tell me it would) to download and was ready to start to do what it does it said that there wasnt enough space on my hard drive.

Exactly my problem too. I fixed it by unsyncing all my movies and podcasts and anything thing else eating large amounts of space on my iPad. This means there is much less to backup to your pc. Tried again and hey bingo it worked. I then re-selected all the movies etc that I "unsynced" before the upgrade and resynced the iPad to get all my stuff back on it.

Be aware that this backup is going to your C drive even if your iTunes library may be stored on a different drive. Unfortunately on Windows pc it is not possible to specify another location for this iTunes backup file.

Finally, you will need to think carefully about potential issues of the stuff on your mums pc that you sync. I do not know how the installation of the new ios5 will handle syncing with two separate machines.

Don't hold me responsible if this goes wrong, I am only telling you how I resolved the disk space issue and it worked for me.