What's new

Problems with downloading ios5. please help.

lanigas

Reaction score
Have been trying to download ios5 loads of time. once for 7 hours. Am trying to download using restoring, everytime it has never got past back up. Please help. Thanks

Try downloading it to your desktop from our thread here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-22984/

Make sure you pick the right one for your phone!

Then, once the download is completed, open iTunes, and shift-click (Windows) or option-click(OSX) on the "update" button in iTunes and it will allow you to select the IOS5 file you just downloaded. That should avoid iTunes timing out.

I'm having problems as well, my iTunes won't even update to the latest version without timing out. I've disable all firewalls, anti-virus programs, etc.

One thing I did to speed up my upgrade was remove all the photos and videos. That way it's not having to make a backup and if there's an error it'll make things a little quicker. In itunes go to help and hit run diagnostics...it'll give you an error report on what's not working right.

I've had many issues with the new software!! I downloaded it but it says I have errors. And now I am unable to receive Any text messages! I can send as many as I want, people will receive my SMS messages but I can NOT receive any of theirs! Is anyone having the same issues? I'm worried I might have to wipe my phone clean and try restoring then
re-downloading the new iOS5 software..
HELP!! Any suggestions? I spent almost 2 1/2 hrs at AT&T today and no one had any idea of how to fix the problem..

Try downloading it to your desktop from our thread here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-22984/

Make sure you pick the right one for your phone!

Then, once the download is completed, open iTunes, and shift-click (Windows) or option-click(OSX) on the "update" button in iTunes and it will allow you to select the IOS5 file you just downloaded. That should avoid iTunes timing out.

Thank you. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but when I go to the download page and choose the top one (iPhone 4.0 GSM) the resulting downloaded file is a zip file (iPhone3,1_5.0_9A_Restore.zip) which contains no .ipsw file.

Can you help please?

Thank you. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but when I go to the download page and choose the top one (iPhone 4.0 GSM) the resulting downloaded file is a zip file (iPhone3,1_5.0_9A_Restore.zip) which contains no .ipsw file.

Can you help please?

It's your PC which is making the change. Windows and Internet Explorer are very poor in that respect.

You can simply RENAME the zip to and ipsw file. DO NOT EXTRACT IT. Or you can use a proper browser to download it, such as Chrome or Firefox, which will not rename the file when it is done downloading.

If you rename the file yourself, make sure you properly change the extension. You may need to enable the viewing of file extensions in Windows Explorer options if they are currently hidden.

Anyone can u plz me here...
I tried to update ma iOS 4.3.1 to iOS 5 ... But i'm getting result as "network timed out" error... Wht should i do for this problem.

balz said:
Anyone can u plz me here...
I tried to update ma iOS 4.3.1 to iOS 5 ... But i'm getting result as "network timed out" error... Wht should i do for this problem.

Follow my instructions about 6 posts back. Download the file manually and install that...

Ya thank u man ... I downloaded that . Ipsw file... But i didn't get u at here... open iTunes, and shift-click (Windows) or option-click(OSX) on the "update" button in iTunes

Ya thank u man ... I downloaded that . Ipsw file... But i didn't get u at here... open iTunes, and shift-click (Windows) or option-click(OSX) on the "update" button in iTunes

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard at the same time as clicking the mouse on the "Restore" button in iTunes... shift-click.

If you are using a Mac and not a Windows PC, you hold down the "Option" key instead of the shift key...

I simply uninstalled iTunes from the install/uninstall option under control panel and it worked like a charm.