What's new

upgrading

magney2k

Reaction score
have an iphone 3gs 4.1 with firmware 6.15. I'm thinking of upgrading to 5.1.1 but before i do that i'd like to hear from you guys what's the best thing to do. Thank you all

Downgrade your firmware using the latest redsn0w, then upgrade to 5.1.1 using custom firmware to preserve your baseband.

Use the latest Redsn0w to downgrade your iPad baseband (06.15) to an unlockable 05.13 baseband....and as suggested use Redsn0w to preserve your new baseband and upgrade via a custom firmware to the current 5.1.1 firmware....

You don't necessarily need to downgrade the BB but it makes for a smoother firmware Update. Downgrading the baseband allows for an easier restore with iTunes and the phone will regain gps functionality (if it was lost after the iPad baseband). The baseband downgrade is not necessary to upgrade to 5.1.1 but makes life a lot easier. To do the baseband downgrade open the most current redsn0w, click extras and select 4.1 ipsw, which you will have to download before hand (as well as 5.1.1 ipsw) then click back and jailbreak. You will have to select the downgrade iPad baseband option. Sometimes you will have to run the downgrade twice, I usually tell people this just in case they boot up there phone and there is no wifi/bluetooth/modem info, although it does not happen often in my experience. And as stated before, to update to 5.1.1 you will need the 5.1.1 ipsw and either snowbreeze or redsnow. Snowbreeze is really straitforward, and for redsn0w you will want to select extras and then custom ipsw and point to your 5.1.1 ipsw file, then continue on with the JB.

Hey guys, is it possible that you didn't ask when his 3GS was produced. Do you want hin to destroy his BB chip. cccccccccccccccccccccccc

bbrks said:
Hey guys, is it possible that you didn't ask when his 3GS was produced. Do you want hin to destroy his BB chip. cccccccccccccccccccccccc

It is very possible we did not ask but since the op has stated he was on 6.15 his chip would already be fried if it was produced past the cut off date.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

They were already using the iPad baseband when they made their initial post. If the phone was not compatible, it would have already been broken before they ever posted here.