What's new

Upgrade iOS 4.1 to 5.1.1 preserving jailbreak and unlock - best way ?

marculos

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here appreciate some help ! I want to upgrade a iphone 3gs I have just bought on iOS 4.1 to 5.1.1 preserving the unlock and jailbreak if possible - plus ensuring I don't break anything like GPS / Wifi / Bluetooth. What would be the best way to do this , use Sn0wBreeze? Appreciate any advice here. Thanks

digits 3, 4 and 5 of serial are 123 Modem firmware is 06.15.00. Under TSS Centre it says SHSH: iOS 4.1, 4.3.5

SO I guess as I havent got the blobs for iOS 5 I cant upgrade to iOS 5 only to iOS 6 which Ive just downloaded the blobs for ?

SO I guess as I havent got the blobs for iOS 5 I cant upgrade to iOS 5 only to iOS 6 which Ive just downloaded the blobs for ?
If to don't have the blobs, the only iOS you can upgrade to is the latest. In your case it would be iOS 6.1.3. That would be the one you just downloaded the blobs for, as you can only save blobs for an iOS version while Apple is currently signing it.

hmm shame that ! Not sure how well 6.1.3 will run on 3GS. Two questions next .. is there a recommended tutorial to upgrade to 6.1.3 without losing the unlock if possible with e.g redsn0w? And secondly, if I hate 6.1.3 is it possible to revert back to 4.1 ? Thanks

I found this guide .. Does preserving baseband mean that the phone would remain unlocked, or would I need to unlock the phone again somehow ? I don't have the original carrier SIM...

Last edited by a moderator:
Preserving the baseband is just what it says, it preserves the baseband, aka the modem firmware. You won't be able to unlock your device using UltraSn0w as your device is a new bootrom device and UltraSn0w is only compatible with the new bootrom 3GS on iOS 6.1 and below because there are no UltraSn0w Fixers for anything above 6.1.

thanks for that, so guess my only option is to upgrade to 6.1.3 and get a proper paid unlock ?

thanks for the help appreciate it, what would be the steps to upgrade to 4.3.5 from 4.1, fairly easy ? Thanks !

Download a copy of iOS 4.3.5's IPSW for your device. Download RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3. Run RedSn0w as an administrator. Go to Extras > Even More > Restore.

Select IPSW, and point it to the 4.3.5 IPSW that you've downloaded. For blobs, select Remote. RedSn0w should pop up with a message asking whether or not you'd want to preserve your baseband and such, say that you do want to preserve your baseband. Let the restore process go through. At the end of the restore, use a Recovery Fix to kick the device out of Recovery Mode.

thanks willerz2 for your help, much appreciated dude :)