What's new

upgrading to a iphone 4 from a 3gs?

jason77

Reaction score
Hello......

I tried searching but couldn't come up with the answer I am looking for.. I have a AT&T iphone 3gs right now and a friend of mine gave me her old AT&T iphone 4. I would like to set up the newer 4 as my phone but am not sure how to do it. I tried to use itunes to transfer everything over but it did not work. Is there a step by step thread here that can show me how to do it?

Thanks in advance..

281 views and no replies? Can no one help me out here?

Unfortunately I am not at home to look at iTunes to get the exact steps. But I will try to layout the basics and hopefully I will be close enough.

1) Update iTunes. This step is 100% critical. If you have to uninstall the old version and then reinstall, do it.
2) Plug 3GS into the PC.
3) Allow iTunes to launch and sync the 3GS.
4) Right mouse click on the 3GS entry on the left hand side of iTunes select "Backup".
5) Allow backup to complete.
6) Unplug 3GS and then plug in 4.
7) If you get the "Set up as new or Restore" select restore from the backup you just created.
8) If you don't, then click on the iPhone 4 entry on the left hand side and go to the Summary tab.
9) From their select restore iPhone.

Again, that is an off the top of my head list. But it should be close enough.

Pretty sure you have to take it to the AT&T store so they can transfer your number and info to the newer phone. U can back up your old one on iTunes but not transfer it onto another phone that way.

AT&T uses SIMS. Once the backup and restore is completed, you simply move the SIM from one phone to the next. If the SIM doesn't fit because of a size difference, then you have to go to AT&T to resolve that issue.

Pretty sure you have to take it to the AT&T store so they can transfer your number and info to the newer phone. U can back up your old one on iTunes but not transfer it onto another phone that way.

You can do most of that online now or over the phone if necessary. But the pro about GSM phones and carriers is the fact that you just swap the SIM in

AT&T uses SIMS. Once the backup and restore is completed, you simply move the SIM from one phone to the next. If the SIM doesn't fit because of a size difference, then you have to go to AT&T to resolve that issue.

Thanks for all the responses, I just checked and the SIM cards are different sizes (3GS is way bigger), so I guess I will have to go to the AT&T store.

Thanks for all the responses, I just checked and the SIM cards are different sizes (3GS is way bigger), so I guess I will have to go to the AT&T store.

You can cut it down yourself as well. It's not difficult if you have steady hands and a good cut

You can cut it down yourself as well. It's not difficult if you have steady hands and a good cut

I thought I saw something about that on Gizmag or somewhere. so there are no electrical traces anywhere outside of the contact tabs on the sim card?

You only need the 3 contacts on each side of the center contact piece. Those are the only 7 contacts that're used.

The below is an example. The 7 pieces that're pointed at are the 7 pieces that are necessary for the SIM to work.

$Untitled.jpg

Honestly... I wouldn't goof w/ the whole SIM card cutting thing. AT&T gives free SIM cards for any phone to their customers. Even if you're switching to a phone that you didn't upgrade and pay AT&T for (like you're doing here w/ the iPhone 4.) I'd hit up the local AT&T brick and mortar... they'll be more than happy to provide you w/ a micro SIM that'll work in your iPhone 4 free of charge.

Honestly... I wouldn't goof w/ the whole SIM card cutting thing. AT&T gives free SIM cards for any phone to their customers. Even if you're switching to a phone that you didn't upgrade and pay AT&T for (like you're doing here w/ the iPhone 4.) I'd hit up the local AT&T brick and mortar... they'll be more than happy to provide you w/ a micro SIM that'll work in your iPhone 4 free of charge.

^ That too. As long as you're an existing customer, it'll be free. Otherwise I think they charge you something like $10 for the SIM itself and some other fee for the "transfer"