What's new

Help w/Upgrading a U/J 3GS

Big Rob

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm new here so I wasn't sure if this should go in here or the T Mobile section so I apologize if it's out of place...

I've got a 3GS that's unlocked/jailbroke and I set it up on TMobile. My problem is I am on iOS 4.3 and need to upgrade so I can get certain apps back updated and running along with being able to get newer ones only running on 5.1 & up.
Koi
But honestly when it comes to doing the upgrading or re doing the unlock/jailbreaking I'm retarded. When I did it the first time it wouldn't work right because it kept saying the TM sim card was invalid, so I ended up having to pay a 13 year old (I'm 33) to get it working for me.

So now I don't know if I need to go through the process again or since other companies are using iPhones now if I can just hook it up to my pc and let it upgrade to iOS 6 or if the 3GS would even work decently on that version. I've heard some people say the iOS 5s and 6 make the 3GS run slow & others say it's fine after a setting is changed.

I'm scared I will end up bricking it or ruining it some other way. If anybody can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. If anybody gives a step by step on what to do, imagine your telling a mongoloid that has had a brain injury. I'm not afraid to admit I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

I also tried searching the forum but I couldn't find the exact info I need.

Let's start simple

Step 1, man up.

Step 2, always admit that you're a mongoloid

Step 3, proceed to self-mutil....

Just kidding. Believe me when I say that it's ALWAYS best to ask questions. If you're unsure, ALWAYS ask the question. It doesn't matter what others think. There's NO SUCH THING as a stupid question, maybe just a stupid answer. But at the end of the day, if you learned/accomplished something, it's not so stupid is it :p

Before we start, we'll need to gather some information on your device to make sure that we don't end up with a nice, shiny, expensive brick.

We'll need the following:
  • Manufacturing date, this is the 3rd, 4th and 5th digits of your serial number which can be found in Settings > General > About > Serial
  • Baseband (Modem Firmware), again can be found in Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware
  • Blobs that are currently available. Open up Cydia and go to the main screen. Look for TSS Center (SHSH & APTicket), and see what iOS versions are listed on the top of this page.
  • What type of unlock are you using? - Most like it's UltraSn0w but it's better to confirm before we proceed

Thanks for the help! Heres the info:

Manufacturing Date-107

Baseband (Modem Firmware)-06.15.00

Blobs that are currently available-4.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1.1

What type of unlock are you using? - I haven't downloaded a new unlock yet. I think when it was done the first time I used ultrasn0w but I honestly can't be sure.*

You're on the new bootrom device. You're using UltraSn0w to unlock your device as your device is currently on the 06.15.00 baseband. As for blobs, you have iOS 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 blobs, so you can use them to restore your device to iOS 5.0.1 or 5.1.1 to retain the unlock since UltraSn0w is incompatible with iOS 6.1 and above.

Use RedSn0w's Restore feature. Download RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3, download the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW for the iPhone 3GS. Run RedSn0w as an admin (if applicable), plug your device in, click Extras > Even More > Restore. Select IPSW and point it to the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW that you just downloaded. Then for blobs, select Remote, then a pop-up will come up asking whether you want to preserve your baseband while upgrading, you'll need to say that you want to preserve the baseband or you'll run into several errors.

After your restore is complete, use a Recovery Fix to kick it out of Recovery Mode. Then back in RedSn0w, go to Extras > Select IPSW, and point it to the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW. Click Back, click Jailbreak. Put your device into DFU mode, and in the menu of tickboxes, make sure "Install Cydia" is ticked (it's ticked by default). Let it jailbreak and the result will be that you're on the Springboard, now with Cydia.

Now open up Cydia, and install UltraSn0w to keep your device from locking up again back into the activation screen. Then set your APN settings according to those of the carrier you're trying to use your 3GS with.

Thanks! If you guys don't hear from me again, something went horribly wrong. No need to send a search party, just save yourselves