What's new

Evasi0n doesnt work because of firmware dependancy?

iOS 5.1.1 and below blobs are saved automatically through Cydia assuming the device was jailbroken at the time that the iOS is being signed. Meaning if you want iOS 5.1.1 blobs saved on Cydia, you had to have opened Cydia at least once when iOS 5.1.1 was the latest iOS on the market. If you did not save them manually using utilities such as TinyUmbrella or RedSn0w when they were being signed, you cannot save them anymore, there's no way to get them. If the device was jailbroken previously, you can open up Cydia, and scroll down to TSS Center on the Cydia main page on the device, open it up, and see which iOS are listed at the top.

Since your 3GS has a new bootrom, you cannot unlock the device free using UltraSn0w, you'll have to go through the carrier to get an unlock assuming they allow it

"Ultrasn0w was quietly updated this week to support iOS 6.1. So if you’re on an eligible device and baseband, you can unlock on the new firmware…" Do i need to worry about the baseband? What do I do for that?

Also. It appears that ultrasn0w is actually redsn0w. Is that the case?

No. UltraSn0w and RedSn0w are separate. UltraSn0w is an unlocking utility. RedSn0w is a jailbreak/management utility. They're both related in terms of developers and such, but they're not interchangeable

hmm.. The ultrasn0w download I found is putting me off to sn0wbreeze..."How to unlock support device with Ultrasn0w
First, you have to download snowbreeze latest version. Click below link to download

Now run Cydia
Go to Mange and then click to Sources.
Now go to “Edit” and click “Add”. Now you can see pop-up box is appearing. On this pop-up box you can enter Source by manually.
Enter this Source Removed
Now click on “Add Source” and click “Return to Cydia”
"

You think its ok to go ahead like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
No..... UltraSn0w is only available in Cydia unless you're downloading the deb package online. You're on the new bootrom, you cannot unlock using UltraSn0w unless you specifically have blobs for 6.0-6.1

Whats a blob? So I know I have to boot tethered to get Cydia to work. So I just boot tethered. Open Cydia and search for ultrasn0w?

Thanks for getting back to me. So T-Mobile can unlock it? He got it at a yard sale so I don't think we even know who the old carrier is. Especially after I ran through jailbreaking and all that.

You can only get a carrier unlock from the original carrier. I'm not aware of any carrier that unlocks for another carrier.

So after all the messing with it the carrier listed is unknown. I bet im screwed arent I?