What's new

Upgrade jailbreak iOS on 3gs

t21stsgt

Reaction score
Hi all, I am reposting from the new member forum, since this is the more appropriate forum. I have a 3GS. It was unlocked and jailbroken when I bought it. The guy I bought it from said it was broken using ***Removed for piracy***. I use it on tmobile, under settings it says; Version 4.0 (8A293), modem firmware 05.13.04. I want to upgrade to 5.0 or whatever is the highest version available but not sure how to go about it. I want to keep it jailbroken, but want it jailbroken at a higher iOS. Do I need to remove the current jailbreak to upgrade the iOS, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you upgrade you will lose the jailbreak and have to re-jailbreak. Make sure that if you do upgrade to iOS5 that you do so using a custom firmware created with either redsn0w or sn0wbreeze otherwise you will lose your unlockable baseband.

Also, you should know that the only jailbreak for iOS5 right now is tethered.

So I don't do this using iTunes? If I use rendn0w, do I just download one of their newer iOS version or do I have to remove the ***Removed for piracy*** first?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will still need to use iTunes, redsn0w is just used to create a custom firmware without the baseband update. Please stop mentioning that repo, we do not support piracy here.

Sorry about the ***** mention, I was just letting you know what was on the phone. Is there step by step instructions somewhere? Do I upgrade the firmware with redsn0w first, then update with iTunes? If I don't want a tethered jailbreak, how do I get an iOS lower than 5, iTunes only offers the most current when I connect. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do this the correct way.

If you have your SHSH saved for an earlier firmware you can restore that using Tiny TSS server to bypass apples verification servers, if you don't have an SHSH you must restore iOS5. You need to upgrade the firmware before jailbreaking just make sure to use redsn0w or sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware so as not to update your baseband.