What's new

Unlocking jailbroken iPhone 3gs

mak101

Reaction score
I bought the phone from CL it is 3gs and version is .4.3.2 8H7 with modem firmware 5.16.02, I did jailbreak yesterday with rainsn0w 9.13 dev4, I thought jailbreaking would unlock the phone but when I inserte tmobile sim, it does not recognize. I can see cydia app on iphone after jailbreaking that ensures phone is jailbroken. Can anyone please let me know how to unlock it?

Thanks.

To unlock, you will have to flash the baseband. What is the 3,4,and 5th numbers in your serial number? if it is higher than 135 then i would not recommend doing this. Run redsn0w, and uncheck install cydia and check off the install ipad baseband. let it run. Also, afterwards you can downdrade to an unlockable baseband 05.13.04 by using the same steps and instead of clicking ipad baseband check downgrade the baseband. Hope this helps.

OK 3rd, 4th and 5th digit in my serial# is 930, is that mean I can't unlock the phone?

930 means it was produced the 30th week of 2009 you should be good to go for the iPad baseband. I should have been more specific when asking for the sn. The cutoff is 135 meaning if it was produced after 35th week of 2011. since yours was in 2009 you should be able to go ahead with the unlock

Last edited:
I already jailbroke it, can you please guide me to unlock now?

Thanks.

Thanks Willer for pointing me to the right direction. I will try and let you know the result.

OK I install the iPad baseband and now my modem firmware is 6.15.00, is it unlocked now? Do I have to downgrade my baseband? I am confuse here, why do I have to downgrade? Can this phone in Europe now? Hope not confused you by asking too many questions? :)

Downgrade it to 5.13 as I said, THEN use ultrasnow to unlock. Once you upgrade the iOS again, youll wipe the unlock again

I downgraded and now it is 5.13.04, is it ok to unlock? Can I still connect it to iTunes and transfer music right? I just should not upgrade the iOS, right?

Yes it is ok to unlock. Just download ultrasn0w from cydia and your good to go. You can upgrade the iOS if you want you will have to preserve the baseband if you don't want to go threw the bs of redoing the iPad BB then BB downgrade. I wouldn't upgrade the iOS in my opinion as apple isn't signing 5.1.1 anymore.

Thanks a lot Willer, I downgraded and install ultrasn0w and it unlocked it. I used t-mobile sim and it is working. I used sim from my last Europe trip and it worked and giving me att signals. Hope this will work in Europe next time.

Can you please tell me if I can use itune to transfer music and is it safe to upgrade iOs?

You can safely use iTunes to transfer music. Yes and no it's safe to upgrade the iOS. If you upgrade it, you'll upgrade your baseband and will remove your unlock. You can, however, preserve your baseband before you upgrade your iOS using RedSn0w. Generally, it would be recommended that you stick with a stable iOS release since the iOS updates are getting lousier and lousier. It's not that it's difficult to re-downgrade the baseband, it's just tedious because you'll have to do it constantly. Preserve the baseband, upgrade, retain baseband, much easier.