What's new

Updating sofware on a Jailbroken Phone

iphonelvr154

Reaction score
Ive had my iphone 4 jailbroken since about last March. I have not updated it since. I feel like im living in the stone age so would like to update the software. Now I understand that I will loose the jailbreak (which is fine with me for now). However I do not know if there is any extra steps/precations I should take before upgrading. Is there anything special I have to do? or do I just hook her up, click upgrade and everything should flow smoothly? Thanks in advance for any help.

The only concern w/ updating iOS versions while you're Jailbroken is..... when you update you want all your information, contacts, text messages, etc. to be back like they were before. The only way this is possible is to update AND restore from a backup of your iDevice. The issue this causes, restoring from a backup of a Jailbroken iDevice, is little bits of the JB will still be attached to your backup and sometime will cause issues w/ the new iOS version. While it's not definitive that this will happen... it has been known to cause issues. Mainly w/ iOS 4.x JB users updating to iOS 5.x. And honestly, I don't see it being any better this go around. To make it short, yes, clicking restore will create the backup and update you to iOS 6.