What's new

upgrading my iphone 4 by best way possible (jailbroken) (5.1.1)

mista_khan

Reaction score
Hi
I have a iphone 4 which I jailbroken using a usb last year (cant remember what software I used), now im having problems with reception, gps signal which ive been told will be rectified when I update software and also cant download new apps as they require new firmware and im currently on 5.1.1 and I want to upgrade my phone to ios 7. Whats the best and safest way for me to do this without loosing my info or apps, messages, photos etc. I have no problem with removing or keeping jailbreak if that helps?

Thanks in advance

The only way to do that would be to sync your apps to iTunes, then perform a backup of your entire device using iTunes. Place the device into DFU mode and click the Restore button. iTunes will download iOS 7.0.3 for your device and install it. After the restoration process, sync your apps back, then restore your backup. All your messages, apps, photos, info, settings, etc, will be transferred over assuming they're synced over and cached onto your computer and/or iTunes

The only way to do that would be to sync your apps to iTunes, then perform a backup of your entire device using iTunes. Place the device into DFU mode and click the Restore button. iTunes will download iOS 7.0.3 for your device and install it. After the restoration process, sync your apps back, then restore your backup. All your messages, apps, photos, info, settings, etc, will be transferred over assuming they're synced over and cached onto your computer and/or iTunes

HEY
Thanks for your reply, your making it sound too easy ;) but I have apps like photo folder where a passcode is needed to access the photos? Will all the photos in that app be back up and itunes and transferred back when phone is updated and restored?

If the passcode is due to a tweak, then no, that won't be carried over. The one thing that I don't exactly like about iTunes (and many other users can relate as well) is that photos and videos are possibly the most annoying bits of data to preserve on iOS, because you won't know if syncing it will throw them straight out the window, or whether they'll be transferred to your photos library on your computer.

But essentially, everything will be preserved as long as you do a full backup, and there are copies of everything in your iTunes library. From experience, I haven't had much trouble with photos when doing a full backup using iTunes since it's also backed up and neatly packaged with your settings preferences, messages, app data, etc. If you want to take it a step further, you can create a backup of the device, use a backup extractor like iExplorer or iBackupBot to open up the backup and see if the photos are in there, and if they're in there, go for the restore knowing that your data is safe.

If the passcode is due to a tweak, then no, that won't be carried over. The one thing that I don't exactly like about iTunes (and many other users can relate as well) is that photos and videos are possibly the most annoying bits of data to preserve on iOS, because you won't know if syncing it will throw them straight out the window, or whether they'll be transferred to your photos library on your computer.

But essentially, everything will be preserved as long as you do a full backup, and there are copies of everything in your iTunes library. From experience, I haven't had much trouble with photos when doing a full backup using iTunes since it's also backed up and neatly packaged with your settings preferences, messages, app data, etc. If you want to take it a step further, you can create a backup of the device, use a backup extractor like iExplorer or iBackupBot to open up the backup and see if the photos are in there, and if they're in there, go for the restore knowing that your data is safe.

Hi
Ok I get ya, but this photo folder im on about isnt due to a tweak its available on the app store, its like a folder which you can store stuff in and it comes with a passcode, so should be transferred right into Itunes as well hopefully?

Assuming you backup the application and its app data is backup-able, then yes, it'll retain the photos. If not, you may have to manually extract them out and re-add them onto your device.