What's new

Removing all jailbreak off iphone 4 while lkeeping all files and apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mista_khan

Reaction score
Hi im currently using a iphone 4 with firmware 5.1.1 . i jailbroken it last year and havent had any problems, but now my wifi and gps are very very weak and phone shop keeps telling me i need to update, so i wanted to remove jailbreak, while keeping all the apps ive downloaded through cydia and then re jailbreak it again once ive upgraded the phone, whats the best way to do this? main apps i want to keep are tomtom and photo folders which i dont want to loose, ? thanks

Use iLex Rat to remove all the tweaks. All your files and apps will remain unaffected....

hi thansk for your reply, but ill need to transfer app purchases to itunes and back up the phone just incase yes? secondly for which latest firmware is a jailbreak available as i want to re jailbreak it after i remove jailbreak and update it

The technical last jailbreak for the iPhone 4 is on iOS 7.0.2 with OpenSn0w, which is NOT for average users. Sure you can jailbreak your device yourself using OpenSn0w by all means, but unless you know exactly what you're doing, you won't be able to use it since it's a jailbreak down the very raw. In addition, there are little to no support for the 99%+ packages in Cydia. Themes can work, but you have to manually implement them because Substrate is not fully tested and hoisted online for public access as is an updated version of Cydia

And contrary to what the above user said, ILEX RAT nor Semirestore allows you to keep your Cydia tweaks unless you're strictly removing all the tweak settings, which will have no affect at all on any pre-existing issues you're trying to resolve. The best way to get it all fixed and working again, is to backup your device completely using iTunes, then backing up all your packages and sources using tweaks like PKGBackup, xBackup and those alike, backup that archived backup of packages and sources, then use ILEX RAT via MobileTerminal/SSH Command/Terminal Command to wipe your device completely. Restore the backup, open up Cydia, re-install the tweak you installed earlier to backup your packages and sources, port the backed up archive from earlier back onto your device, and extract it.

Depending on the number of tweaks you have, it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour to get done.

The technical last jailbreak for the iPhone 4 is on iOS 7.0.2 with OpenSn0w, which is NOT for average users. Sure you can jailbreak your device yourself using OpenSn0w by all means, but unless you know exactly what you're doing, you won't be able to use it since it's a jailbreak down the very raw. In addition, there are little to no support for the 99%+ packages in Cydia. Themes can work, but you have to manually implement them because Substrate is not fully tested and hoisted online for public access as is an updated version of Cydia

And contrary to what the above user said, ILEX RAT nor Semirestore allows you to keep your Cydia tweaks unless you're strictly removing all the tweak settings, which will have no affect at all on any pre-existing issues you're trying to resolve. The best way to get it all fixed and working again, is to backup your device completely using iTunes, then backing up all your packages and sources using tweaks like PKGBackup, xBackup and those alike, backup that archived backup of packages and sources, then use ILEX RAT via MobileTerminal/SSH Command/Terminal Command to wipe your device completely. Restore the backup, open up Cydia, re-install the tweak you installed earlier to backup your packages and sources, port the backed up archive from earlier back onto your device, and extract it.

Depending on the number of tweaks you have, it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour to get done.
hi thanks for your respone, thats alot of info :D, so say re jailbreaking isnt important, i just want my existing apps ive downloaded through cydia like tomtom etc to stay along with my photos etc, so whats the easiest way to to update my phone so my gps and wifi starts working again?

. . hi thanks for your respone, thats alot of info :D, so say re jailbreaking isnt important, i just want my existing apps ive downloaded through cydia like tomtom etc to stay along with my photos etc, so whats the easiest way to to update my phone so my gps and wifi starts working again?
Once a jailbreak is removed from a device, you lose all access to any jailbroken apps and tweaks. There is no way to remove a jailbreak and keep your jailbroken apps, tweaks, and themes on your device. scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

hi thanks for your respone, thats alot of info :D, so say re jailbreaking isnt important, i just want my existing apps ive downloaded through cydia like tomtom etc to stay along with my photos etc, so whats the easiest way to to update my phone so my gps and wifi starts working again?

Existing apps like TomTom are not from Cydia; they come from the AppStore and can always be re-downloaded from there after a jail break.

Marilyn

Those apps aren't downloaded through Cydia. If you choose Remove All Tweaks and Settings, you retain your stock files (from the AppStore, your user data, etc) and all tweaks from Cydia are removed. There is an option to completely wipe the entire device if you so choose, which in my opinion, is more productive than just wiping out your tweaks if you're certain that your tweaks are causing you issues.

Although it does retain your stock files and data, it's still recommended that you backup your device just in case. That goes for upgrading (not restoring) to another iOS as well.

ok i think i have confused you all a little, when i refer to apps i refer to apps i downloaded through cydia like watsapp, tomtom, and other apps which are available through app store? and not reffering to any custom apps from cydia? so if i remove jailbreak and update my phone will i still have access to apps like tomtom and watsapp and secret photo folder app which i downloaded through cydia originally?

ok i think i have confused you all a little, when i refer to apps i refer to apps i downloaded through cydia like watsapp, tomtom, and other apps which are available through app store? and not reffering to any custom apps from cydia? so if i remove jailbreak and update my phone will i still have access to apps like tomtom and watsapp and secret photo folder app which i downloaded through cydia originally?

I'm not positive but I do not remember Cydia providing the apps this member mentioned. Therefore,
I going to close this thread. Please read PM I sent on this matter.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.