What's new

Updating iPhone 4 and its 'bricked'

SteLowis

Reaction score
I was updating to new software and now itunes says i need to restore phone. Restore, goes throu verifying then restoring iphone firmware then comes up with error 9?
I cant understand how doing a 'lagit' update became a problem.
Any ideas people?
Thanks

quick google search and found this...

Hi all apologies if this solution has already been posted.

I've been trying to update my iPhone 4 to 4.0.1 for hours but it kept failing 3/4 of the way through and bricking my phone due to an error 9 message.

Tried all the usual fixes for this problem, even tried different Macs but still had same result. But found this solution posted elsewhere. Tried it and it worked, out of recovery mode update complete, all I need to do is restore from back-up.

Download RecBoot 1.0.2
I found it here: http://www.sebby.net/659-released-recboot-1-0-2/
Plug in your iPhone.
Close iTunes.
Run "RecBoot Exit Only"
Click the "Exit Recovery Mode" button.
The screen on the iPhone will go black. At this point, UNPLUG the iPhone (before it starts back up)
It will boot up correctly after finishing the firmware install.
Now plug your iPhone back in and complete a normal restore.

Hope it helps all those stressed users out there with the same problem.

Just to say that have tried the death grip with 4.0.1 in a location where I normally have poor signal and I still get signal drop, it does hang on in there on one bar for slightly longer than before but then it goes to no service!!

Cheers

taken from here.. Solution to error 9 with 4.0.1 update - MacRumors Forums

Thank You very much for your effort but still no joy. Although i cant find a version of rec boot thats works. I used tiny umbrella to exit recovery mode

exit recovery mode you can hold both on/off and home for about 5-6 seconds and it forces it to restart