What's new

Update to iOS 6 from jailbroken 5.1.1

hollywood90

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4S CDMA with Verizon, and it's current state is jailbroken. However, I am wanting to update to iOS 6, and want to know what I need to do to backup all my tweaks and the data contained in them before I do so, so that I may restore it (when the ability becomes available) when iOS 6 can be jailbroken. One of my main concerns is the VLC app I have that contains videos in it that I do want to keep. The app, however, is not the last version that was available on the app store. It is the one from Cydia that allows you to use iFile to put the videos into it.

I need to update tonight, so if you can please assist me with this, that would be wonderful. :)

Also, if I do the OTA update, will any of the jailbreak apps still be on my phone, or will they be removed with the update?

Much thanks, and I hope someone can help me ASAP!

Hello, you won't be able to do an OTA update, you will have to do it with iTunes, the easiest way is downloading the IPSW (iOS6 firmware) and doing a restore selecting the file you have downloaded, I'm not sure if you can update from iTunes, it could give you an error

You will loose anything related to jailbreak, and if you don't save the shsh blobs you won't be able to go back to 5.1.1

I have an iPhone 4S CDMA with Verizon, and it's current state is jailbroken. However, I am wanting to update to iOS 6, and want to know what I need to do to backup all my tweaks and the data contained in them before I do so, so that I may restore it (when the ability becomes available) when iOS 6 can be jailbroken. One of my main concerns is the VLC app I have that contains videos in it that I do want to keep. The app, however, is not the last version that was available on the app store. It is the one from Cydia that allows you to use iFile to put the videos into it.

I need to update tonight, so if you can please assist me with this, that would be wonderful. :)

Also, if I do the OTA update, will any of the jailbreak apps still be on my phone, or will they be removed with the update?

Much thanks, and I hope someone can help me ASAP!

Also have a Verizon 4s which was on 5.1.1 and jail broken. Did a backup and the ran the update from iTunes and got an "unexpected error". Followed the prompts to do a restore and it came up clean. Restored my backup and I am on 6 running smooth.

Also have a Verizon 4s which was on 5.1.1 and jail broken. Did a backup and the ran the update from iTunes and got an "unexpected error". Followed the prompts to do a restore and it came up clean. Restored my backup and I am on 6 running smooth.
Is your iPhone jailbroken running IOS6? I want to update but I dont want to lose my JB?

I'm not concerned with the jailbreak in regards to losing it until iOS 6 has a jailbreak available. I'm more concerned about getting all my apps backed up and saved somewhere so I can. I work for Apple, and they are wanting my department in iOS 6, so I need to do that by Monday. We aren't supposed to have our phones jailbroken for debugging purposes anyways, so it's not like I can go confront them with this question. I've tried the PKGbackup, but it crashes before it ever gets to back up. Anyone know of a way to accomplish this? Even using a computer to pull the data off and then save the actual packages separately is an alternative option.

I've backed up all my applications, including jailbreak data for when iOS 6 has a jailbreak available, and am currently downloading the update. Now, once I update to iOS 6, will I be able to restore from my iPhone backup file and regain my icon layout and everything? Or will I need to put all the apps I had back onto it, and then redo the layout?

hollywood90 said:
I've backed up all my applications, including jailbreak data for when iOS 6 has a jailbreak available, and am currently downloading the update. Now, once I update to iOS 6, will I be able to restore from my iPhone backup file and regain my icon layout and everything? Or will I need to put all the apps I had back onto it, and then redo the layout?

Fyi i wouldnt restore a jailbroken backup. It usually causes problems.

Fyi i wouldnt restore a jailbroken backup. It usually causes problems.
This is mainly the case w/ major iOS version updates. Such as, being JB on 4.3.3 and having a backup from that. Then updating to iOS 5.0.1 from the 4.3.3 backup. Of course... this doesn't apply right now since Apple is no longer signing 5.0.1. Time will tell, though, if we'll have the same issues w/ users updating to iOS 6 from an iOS 5 backup while Jailbroken.

What is the software called for iOS 6. I downloaded it to my computer from itunes but i cant find it in the Shift+Click on restore. Any Help?

Hello, you won't be able to do an OTA update, you will have to do it with iTunes, the easiest way is downloading the IPSW (iOS6 firmware) and doing a restore selecting the file you have downloaded, I'm not sure if you can update from iTunes, it could give you an error

You will loose anything related to jailbreak, and if you don't save the shsh blobs you won't be able to go back to 5.1.1

Where can i find the ios 6 file?

grant5509 said:
Where can i find the ios 6 file?

There's a sticky thread with the direct links to the official Apple iOS 6 update. As well, you can download the update from iTunes or OTA on an un-jailbroken iPhone.

What is the software called for iOS 6. I downloaded it to my computer from itunes but i cant find it in the Shift+Click on restore. Any Help?

You have to press shift on your keyboard before clicking restore on iTunes