What's new

UPDATE and answer to, "Keyboard freezes with Google ..."

Puzzled

Reaction score
I went to the Apple Store today and showed them the issue with the iPhone 6 Plus and the lack of a keyboard with Safari in landscape mode. It is a known issue with some of the iPhone 6 Pluses. I have the 128 size (or whatever the largest number is) and do not kniw if that is the only version affected. Did not ask. The Apple person said, "Believe it or not, this is a known issue with Safari and then only with some of the 6 Plus iPhones. They are working on it,"

Just a short recap of the issue:

Using an iPhone 6Plus 128 (do not know about other models), if you first start Safari in Landscape mode, you will not get a keyboard when touching the search box to start your search. Does not matter what browser you use.

Current solutions:

Solution 1. If you open Safari with the iPhone 6 Plus in landscape position and you do not get a keyboard, just turn it to portrait position and back to landscape. You will now get the keyboard.

Solution 2. Start Safari while holding the iPhone in portrait position.

NOTE: If you have used Safari in landscape mode and have already done the step to get the keyboard and you do not swipe to close it, or turn the phone completely off, you will be fine re-opening Safari in landscape. Once you swipe it closed or turn off your phone and have the iPhone in your hand in landscape position while selecting Safari, you will have to do the little rotation to portrait to have the keyboard pop up.

This is not a big deal, but I was not sure if it was a symptom of another larger issue that I did not run into yet, or if it would be with future updates that do something with Safari. Needed to find out.

This is not an issue with every iPhone 6 Plus. I happen to have one with the issue. I received my iPhone Tuesday, June 2, 2015 and it was shipped from Texas, according to my tracking. I don't know if that is a tell or not, but maybe the ones built around the time mine was (and my receiving date may not really reflect when it was made other than I do not think they stay in the warehouses long), or in the place mine was manufactured, assembled, or programmed (don't know if these steps are done in multiple places) got the bad hardware and/or programming glitch. It may be like other manufactured and programmed items where there are bad batches. Hopefully, there will be an update to fix the issue, but it is not a big deal, so far.

I just tried with my 128GB iPhone 6 Plus, this problem does not affect it. I hope Apple does fix the problem you and others are having with an upcoming iOS update.

Last edited:
Glad you got an answer and maybe IOS 8.4 will address it.