What's new

Safari switch tab gesture

ardchoille

Reaction score
This is something that I stumbled upon a few minutes ago. I was unaware of a gesture that allows us to switch tabs in Safari.. until now. I know that, in landscape mode on iPhone 6, we can pinch a tab in Safari to zoom out and see all open tabs. However, if you pinch just enough so that you can see the edges of adjacent tabs, you can then hold the pinch there, before the full zoom out, and swipe sideways to move to the next tab.

This gesture works rather well in landscape mode in iOS 8.3, but doesn't work in portrait mode. This tells me that the gesture is dependent on the pinch-to-see-open-tabs feature.

I'm curious if this gesture works in both landscape and portrait mode on the iPhone 6+. If so, could someone post the information for us?

I can switch tabs on my iPhone 6 plus using your method in landscape mode. I couldn't do it in portrait mode, simply because I can't pinch.

I can switch tabs on my iPhone 6 plus using your method in landscape mode. I couldn't do it in portrait mode, simply because I can't pinch.
Ok, it's the same as iPhone 6. I had hoped that, since the home screen rotates on the iPhone 6+, this gesture would work in both modes on that phone, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thank you for the info, J. A.

You're welcome.

I've tried it in Zoomed and Standard view. Both times it worked in landscape mode, but not portrait mode.

Pinch? Pinch what?
Currently I tap on the page symbol on the right. All my tabs show and I tap on the one I want to move to it click the x to close it out. Works the same in landscape and portrait on my 6+. What am I missing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Pinch? Pinch what?
Currently I tap on the page symbol on the right. All my tabs show and I tap on the one I want to move to it click the x to close it out. Works the same in landscape and portrait on my 6+. What am I missing?
I think you may have misunderstood what I posted in the OP. If not, let me know and I will try to make it more clear.

Last edited:
Well, are the results I posted what you meant? Because I did one in landscape, the other in portrait, on my 6+

When you pinch the site you're looking at, using thumb and pointer, it'll look different. You won't see all the open tabs. As soon as you can see a part of the next tab, slide the one you're pinching to the left or right quickly, with both fingers still pinching the site. When you see that the next tab moves to the center of the screen lift both fingers.
I can't take a screenshot. As soon as you lift one finger, it's not possible to switch tabs any more, because one of them will open.

You don't even have to wait for the adjacent tab to come fully into view, just pinch a little and swipe and you can lift your fingers before the switch completes. It does a bit of practice, though.

I see. That pinch does exactly what my tapping that page rectangle symbol in the lower right in portrait ( and upper right in landscape) does but seems easier to work to me. Try the tap when you have several sites open and see if I am right or I need work work on this sme more.

I see. That pinch does exactly what my tapping that page rectangle symbol in the lower right in portrait ( and upper right in landscape) does but seems easier to work to me. Try the tap when you have several sites open and see if I am right or I need work work on this sme more.
Yes, that pages icon is there for the purpose of zooming out to see all open tabs. The tab switching gesture I stumbled upon is, I believe, a mistake.. I don't believe Apple intended it to work that way.

Well then, I am going to stop trying to pinch! I can only cram so much in my head. I still double tap and am surprised that nothing happens.