What's new

Unlocked iPhones? What does that mean?

JohnPyn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying an iPhone 5 because my 4s is low on ram for some reason and the speaker is broken... I found some on ebay but there's a little problem, I live in italy and here we have to put micro sims on iphones while if I understand correctly in the USA you buy iPhones like Spring and they stay like that forever, here we can change hence the sim slot on the right side of the iphone. If I were to buy on ebay.com an unlocked iphone would that mean that I can put my sim or it means something else? Thanks a lot in advance

Yes an unlocked iPhone means it is not tied to any network, will a US phone work in Italy ??
That I don't know, I'm sure someone will

So... if an iPhone is unlocked it means that it has a sim slot?

An unlocked device will work globally as there are only a literal handful of CDMA carriers worldwide. As long as the device has a SIM tray, you can use it in Italy because Europe carriers are GSM.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

I see... I'll try asking about the sim tray thanks a lot everyone

The SIM tray is on the ride bezzel of the iPhone with respect to the front of the screen placed right-side up.if your iPhone does not have a SIM tray on the right side, it's a CDMA only device and cannot be used with any GSM networks as it lacks a SIM tray to place the SIM. (This is for the iPhone 4 only)

The 4S and newer devices are world phones, so if your device is unlocked, you can insert any SIM for use with your device as long as it has a valid plan on it

Sent from my iPad Mini via Tapa

Factory unlocked models are available at your local Apple Store or available online for delivery.

I have an iPhone 4S (AT&T) that is unlocked. Works in Germany when I take my wife home to visit.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk