Unlock (and maybe jailbreak) Advice ...

cakeeater

Reaction score
I travel a lot and would like to UNLOCK my phone with these current specs:

iPhone 4
iOS 4.0.2
Baseband 01.59.00
Currently NOT jailbroken

I use a Mac running OS 10.6.5 (Snow Leopard) and have iTunes version 9.2.1 installed (not the newest version 10).

I would like to simply UNLOCK my phone to be able to use it with multiple phone carriers. However, it seems that some of the best UNLOCK solutions either require a JAILBROKEN phone or do both an UNLOCK & JAILBREAK together. I'm not opposed to JAILBREAKING my phone but it's not my primary goal.

Can anyone give me any detailed advice on how I can proceed, either with my current phone configuration or changing the configuration to allow for the UNLOCK?

Thank you!

Unfortunately you you have to ether get it carrier unlocked direct from your carrier or you will have to jailbreak it to get it unlocked. The good thing is you haven't upgraded to 4.2.1 so you will be able to unteathered jailbreak it and then unlock it. Take a look on utube as plenty of tutorials on there but sure there is plenty of fellow member that will hel out on here. Try the search option at top of page and search for unlock etc

Make sure you don't upgrade from 4.0.2!!!! It is easy to jailbreak and unlock from that OS. You can find video tutorials online.

Cortishead, are you sure it's easier from 4.0.2? I've been searching online and have only found this:

"It’s now official! iPhone Dev team will not be releasing software to jailbreak iOS 4.0.2 or iPad 3.2.2, which means that if you have upgraded your iPhone iOS to 4.0.2 or iPad to 3.2.2 or have recently bought iPhone 4 with iOS 4.0.2 or iPad 3.2.2 then you are out of luck."

I can't find anything that unlocks/jailbreaks the iPhone4 with 4.0.2.

If you know of something, can you point me in that direction?

Thanks.

To unlock you first have to jailbreak. 4.0.2 can't be jailbroken. Only 4.0.1. Unfortunately you can't upgrade to 4.1 anymore so are stuck upgrading to 4.2.1 if you want to jailbreak/unlock. The bad news is that it's not as simple as that if you wish to keep your unlock possibility as the baseband will also be updated. You will need to update iTunes to update your phone.

You can however create a custom ipsw on your mac using pawnage tool so that you can upgrade to 4.2.1 whilst keeping your baseband the same. Then you can jailbreak using redsnow and unlock it using ultrasnow. At the moment the 4.2.1 jailbreak is tethered. Which means everytime you switch of your phone or have to reboot it you will need to plug it into your computer and run redsnow again. Fortunately an untethered jailbreak is not to far away...

Didnt know that. I stand corrected,

4.0.2 can't be jailbroken with jailbreakme however...

I have 4.0.2 and jailbroke with Limera1n. My wife has 4.0.1 and jailbroke with jailbreakme. They both work well

You can find walk through videos on YouTube to jailbreak 4.0.2 with limera1n