What's new

Unjailbreak from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1

konikub

Reaction score
I jailbroke my iPhone 4S with absinthe on iOS 5.0.1 and now I want to unjailbreak it to use 5.1.1

Do I need to just plug my phone into iTunes and click restore? Will it automatically restore to 5.1.1 or will it restore it to 5.0.1?

Question is....if it does say restore to 5.1.1, will it hurt my iPhone that it's currently on 5.0.1 - should I restore only to 5.0.1?

The LAST thing I want to do is brick my 32gb iPhone.

Any input would be much appreciated :)

There is no way to brick an iPhone, and yes, if you click restore it will restore 5.1.1 and then you can jailbreak with the latest absinthe or redsn0w

WICKED!!! Thanks so much for the quick response...and with good news too!!! So I plug my iPhone (with jailbroken 5.0.1) into iTunes and click restore...it will do it's thing and I will end up with an unjailbroken iPhone with 5.1.1?

What is this "backup" I hear everyone saying to do after you restore....? Is it needed? I 'think' I did a back up, but if I have nothing to back up and click back up...I don't want to screw it up. Do I need to back up after a restore, or would be good to go after a restore alone?

Sorry for being such a douche about this...but I love this phone, and it was quite expensive :)

Yes, hitting restore in iTunes will install factory 5.1.1 firmware unjailbroken.

You can backup to iCloud or you can backup to your computer locally with iTunes. It saves your pictures, contacts, settings, app data, messages, call history, etc. If you do decide to restore from backup, make sure that you first restore to a factory firmware, set up as a new iPhone and then jailbreak. After you have jailbroken the untouched firmware, you can then restore from backup if you want your data back.