What's new

how to go from 5.0.1 jail broken to 5.1.1 jail broken?

macman

Reaction score
hey all. i jailbroke my iphone 4s (5.0.1) a while back with Absinthe v0.3. i would like to update to 5.1.1 and jailbreak with Absinthe v2.0.4 mainly because the blue tooth has never worked right on 5.0.1 and because certain apps need the latest firmware.

I have found plenty of info on how to jailbreak an unjailbroken phone but none on how to upgrade an already jailbroken phone without losing all of my cydia apps.
I realise the solution is probably very simple but I figured I ask the people in the know first.

Thanks for any help.

You need to use an app like xBackup or PKGBackup to backup your installations and then you need to restore 5.1.1, set up as new device, jailbreak, restore from bacukup and then you can restore your installations with xBackup or PKGBackup

The best way to do this is to DFU restore to 5.1.1....you MUST NOT restore from a backup.

Download the 5.1.1 iPSW for your device *model* here: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=firmware
(Be sure to NOT download the iPSW from Internet Explorer. Use Chrome or Mozilla Firefox or something. Just *not* IE.) save the iPSW to your desktop.

The safest way to do this is to NOT try to backup your Cydia packages. Some packages you have may not be 5.1.1 compatible.

I recommend you use redsn0w to jailbreak instead if Absinthe btw. Much faster. Don't know why.

You can get redsn0w from here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

However...if you are up for taking the risk...use a package called xBackup from Cydia. (or at least try to locate and remove the packages you know are not 5.1.1 compatible, before backing up with xBackup).

Make sure you use the manual SSH method to backup your Cydia tweaks. Not the iTunes backup method. The *last* thing you want to do is restore from an iTunes/iCloud backup. Trust me.

Open xBackup, tap "Backup".
Wait til it's done.

Now SSH into your phone and navigate to the xBackup folder, transfer Backup.zip to desktop.

DFU restore to a 5.1.1 iPSW. SETUP AS NEW...Not from backup.

Enter DFU mode, open iTunes, hold down the shift/option key *while* you click the Restore button. Locate the 5.1.1 iPSW file on desktop and double click, let iTunes do the rest.
SETUP AS NEW DEVICE, on device and in iTunes.

After restore, follow the initial on screen setup. Once you get to the SpringBoard...don't do anything. Dont configure, or open anything. Just lock the device and leave it be.

Now follow the iTunes setup. Choosing to setup as new, and *unchecking* "automatically sync applications". Click Done...let iTunes transfer Safari Safe Browsing Data to iPhone. Once done..close iTunes open redsn0w.

Jailbreak with redsn0w. You MUST WAIT FOR DEVICE TO REBOOT...*THEN RESPRING ONCE AFTER REBOOTING* before touching the phone. The respring comes a little late after the reboot...just wait.

Now:
Sync apps, music, etc, from iTunes
Close iTunes...your done with it now.

Now open Cydia, of coarse wait for it to fully load, search for and install xBackup.

SSH into phone again, and drag and drop the Backup.zip to the xBackup folder.

Open xBackup on device.
Tap the Restore button
It can take a while...this is normal. Just wait.
Once it is done...reboot your phone *twice* then respring after the second reboot. The respring is just to be certain all extensions get loaded.

Now all your Cydia packages have been installed in 2 reboots.

As long as you follow my instructions *exactly* then you should have no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
InkedAdrenaline said:
Very nice write up Zig!

Thank you.

I seem to always have typos when I post from my phone.lol.

Last edited:
thanks a millioon zig, you're a legend mate ;)