What's new

Unable to recover Iphone 3GS, Help Needed.

DarkSmoke

Reaction score
I am new to the forums, and I am new to iphones although i have experience playing around with other smartphones. I Got this iPhone which was locked to orange and I am in Malta (we have no orange here) so I tried to upgrade my Iphone from 4.1 to 4.3.3 as I didn't want the 5.01 yet (because of the tethering) with no success for hours with iTunes poking out error codes mostly if i'm not mistaking 3194 error code... After reading some guides and tutorials on this Forum and other webpages regarding the errors and tried to fix it like they recommended without any success i tried to jailbreak my iphone without upgrading first so i tried every jailbreaking i could find which was compatible with 4.1 but nothing succeeded(apparently the iPhone was already jailbreaked by the previous owner but god knows what type of jailbreak he did)and suddenly the phone would not run anymore.. Although I forgot with which jailbreaking method this happened but if i am not mistaking it was after trying sn0wbreeze which failed and then trying to update directly to 5.01 but again I am not completely sure... All i know now is that:

The Apple USB and iTunes icon is all i can see.. I tried to run the itunes restore many times and with many different methods and different ipsws including the latest one which iTunes download with always failing, getting different error codes to no availe. Now i'v ended up with the iTunes getting stuck at preparing iphone for restore... or restoring iphone (at about 30%) stages. I don't know what to do and I am going crazy. I tried restoring from both DFU mode and pwnd DFU mode other then recovery mode but still no luck. Tried a different computer and it went worst... I'm on windows 7 32bit with the latest and fresh install of iTunes(yes i also tried re-installing i tunes and deleting everything that have to do with Apple to no avail ) I Searched and searched and tried everything i met with on my way. So anyhelp how can i get my iphone back and running would be helpfull!

Iphone 3GS which had the 4.1 firmware and 5.14.02 baseband... I used tools like TinyUmbrella and editing the hosts files... those didn't work.

Ok So an update.. I tried putting my iPhone in DFU mode and using Tiny Umbrella to Fix Recovery.. It Rebooted and it booted greenpois0n and gave some fs_mount errors and said greenpois0n initialized but it stuck there.

This may not be what ur looking for,but take a read and decide if its for you and your problem...there's always risk, but this has worked for me in the past...

If all u want to do is put 4.1 back on , keeping original BB then do this..
(Window pc)

This will just load a fresh 4.1 firmware and your BB will still be what u said provided u have not reflashed it with 06.15

1. d/l ireb4
2. d/l original restore ipsw 4.1 for the 3GS (iphone /ipod firmware d/l site)
3. hook to pc and open ireb and pick 3gs and put in DFU mode
4. it should open itunes after it has put in DFU mode ( if not after it tells u are in DFU, minimize ireb and open itunes)
5.on your keyboard hit shift and pick restore and pick the 4.1 ispw you d/l
6. let it run and u will get the 1015 towards the end...thats ok
7. min itunes
9 bring ireb back on screen and pick top mernu recovery loop fixer
10. then pick "set auto boot true"
that should kick out of recovery mode
11. if not, repeat from step #1 again and ireb will kick it out on second attempt
12. then set up in itunes a new phone in itunes....

I Solved the issue... It was the USB wire... I took a good look at it and realized it wasn't an original one and although it was good for charging the battery it was not good for flashing the iphone.. I got a new usb wire and it worked perfectly!

So technically, I just wasted a good load of hours! hah :) Happy christmas to all.