What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 (tethered) using ac1dsn0w

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPhoneForums.net tutorial on Jailbreaking IOS5 tethered with ac1dsn0w.

ac1dsn0w currently jailbreaks IOS5 on the following devices only - iPhone 3GS, iPhone4, iPodTouch4G, and iPad 1. It does not work on iPhone4S OR iPad2. :(

Status Update: Following a shaky start, necessitating the tool being withdrawn due to infringing Apples copyright, Pwn Dev-Team have now released Beta 2 which solves the legal issues. YAY! So feel free to download and use this tool if you wish, not that it is on the right side of legal :D

IOS5 Jailbreak Preparation.
In order to use the tethered redsn0w jailbreak for IOS5, you need to make sure you are starting with an iPad which is already upgraded to IOS5, and as things stand that means the latest version of IOS5, which is 5.0.1 at the time of writing.

You will need to download the latest version of the tool from the home page here - Pwn Dev Team . Always source ac1dsn0w from this site to ensure its authenticity. At the time of writing, ac1dsn0w is available for OSX only.

Lets Jailbreak IOS5!
Once your preparation is complete, we can get started on the jailbreak process...
1. Launch the ac1dsn0w application and you will be presented with a screen as follows:

ac1d_01.png

Note for n00bs: Ac1dsn0w seems to have been developed primarily for seasoned jail breakers that are familiar with the process of jailbreaking Apple devices. The basic assumption is that you know how to get your device into DFU mode. If you press ANY of the 4 primary buttons for Jailbreak, Tethered Boot, Pwned DFU, or Exit Recovery, the tool assumes you have ALREADY put your device into DFU mode. Don't worry if you don't understand this. ac1dsn0w can still help you out too!

If you know how to put your device into DFU mode, go ahead and do it and then skip to Step 3. If you can't remember how to activate DFU mode, follow Step 2… :D

2. Ac1dsn0w provides a DFU Mode Assistant to help you get into DFU mode. Just tick the "Show Assistant" box and a popup screen will be shown as follows:

ac1d_02.png

Press the "Start" button and follow the instructions on screen…

ac1d_03.png

ac1d_04.png

ac1d_05.png

If everything went to plan, you should now be in DFU mode and you can proceed to the next step. If not, press "Reset" and try again…

ac1d_06.png

3. Press the "Jailbreak" button and let ac1dsn0w work it's magic!

ac1d_07.png

If you are interested in what is going on under the covers, tick the "Show Console" button and you can follow the progress of your jailbreak!

ac1d_08.png

Congratulations! You are jailbroken! BUT DON'T FORGET, THIS IS A TETHERED JAILBREAK. You must now boot tethered to be able to use Cydia.

4. Put your device into DFU mode again (use the assistant if necessary), and press "Boot Tethered"

Now your iPad should boot in a tethered state. One important thing to note compared to other jailbreaks such as redsn0w, is that the Apple logo is still displayed when the iPad is booting correctly into a tethered state. With redsn0w this would normally be a pineapple to let you know you did it right. You don't get any such indication with ac1dsn0w.

That's it! You really are jailbroken now. Congratulations again!
Now launch Cydia and start exploring the brave new world!

Don't forget to tethered boot using step 4 EVERY TIME you reboot your device from now on!

Ac1dra1n also contains options to fix a recovery mode loop which can be caused when downgrading devices and also to put the device into pwned DFU mode which is used for installing custom firmwares without a baseband component.

Happy hacking IOS5 fellow jailbreakers!

Last edited:
As always... Very good write up. I want to be like you when I grow up hahahahaha

Joke apart, great job. Thanks

I've upgraded to iOS 5.1. Is there software available to help with the jailbreak on my iPhone 4s with iOS 5.1?

Dang! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

i already found a jailbreak iphone 4s 5.1 [Moderator edit: Removed link to dodgy scam. There is no jail break for the 4S on iOS 5.1.] but i cant open the password.any body can open it and pass the password to me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't post any external links. Review our rules!

sham1303 said:
i already found a jailbreak iphone 4s 5.1 [Moderator edit: Removed link to dodgy scam. There is no jail break for the 4S on iOS 5.1.] but i cant open the password.any body can open it and pass the password to me?

Yeah dude. It is a scam/lie. There is NO jailbreak for the 4S on 5.1.

ONLY greenpois0n.com and blog.iphone-dev.org will have the REAL jailbreak tools.

If you find any jailbreak tool that is not from the 2 sites I mentioned above then it is a 100% guarantee that it is FAKE.

Especially if they ask you to pay for it or complete a survey to download it. Dead giveaways.lol.

Last edited:
This is why I dig this forum. Thanks for the clarification on that. I hope the come up with a jailbreak soon. Also, if you do jailbreak, can you ever get anymore updates from Apple? When I had an Android we had to upgrade manually so I was wondering it that was same case here? Sorry of I posted this in the wrong area.

This is why I dig this forum. Thanks for the clarification on that. I hope the come up with a jailbreak soon. Also, if you do jailbreak, can you ever get anymore updates from Apple? When I had an Android we had to upgrade manually so I was wondering it that was same case here? Sorry of I posted this in the wrong area.

Oh, you can always get updates from Apple, even when/if you're jail broken.

The key question is: Do you want to take advantage of those upgrades? See, upgrades come out, then the jail breaking community has to develop a jail break for that update. If you upgrade before a jail break is released, yeah, you'll be on the newest software, but you won't be jail broken.

So, it's always a waiting game and jail breakers are usually one firmware version behind those with a stock iOS.

So, yeah, updates are available to all. Just up to you should you choose to update or upgrade.

Marilyn

it is real,i saw at youtube.they show at cydia i phone 4s 5.1

not scam,ist real,u can check at youtube.the video length about 2.28 minute.i cant give u the web adress,if u want,please pm me.

i am very trying hard to search a jailbreak 4s 5.1 but yesterday i found it.i will pm u