What's new

turn off display without lock

marknashe

Reaction score
I have been getting asked this question a lot now that more users use iPhones. We have a policy in place that requires a passcode and we set the iPhone to lock every 15 minutes.

I often get asked is there a way to have the screen turn off to save battery life, without it locking and requiring the passcode? For instance, if someone is having a text conversation, or email, that say messages are being sent back and forth every 2 minutes, if the user sets their display set to 1 minute (to save battery), when that text gets in, not only will they need to slide to open, but also have to type the passcode. I don't think the sliding is the issue, it's the passcode. So maybe I should ask, is there a way I can have their devices require a passcode every 15 minutes, but allow them to turn off their displays sooner, without having to type the passcode?

I can see where this is frustrating

All 4S devices

I'm not quite sure I understand you correctly, but I will try to give you my approach to this. As far as I am concerned, the user can choose to set the auto-lock to anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes - this is where the screen will go into battery-saving mode. Then you can set the passcode on, and ask it to require a passcode after 1, 5 or 15 minutes. If you set this to 15 minutes, you can always turn of the display/screen (by pressing the top button, or waiting the auto-lock), and then bypass entering the passcode every 2 minutes in a text-conversation.

The timing is all about the level of security you want on your devices. Personally I think 15 minutes is too long, but maybe 5 minutes will help you in this situation. You will find all of these settings under the General settings.

Hope this helps.

I'm not quite sure I understand you correctly, but I will try to give you my approach to this. As far as I am concerned, the user can choose to set the auto-lock to anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes - this is where the screen will go into battery-saving mode. Then you can set the passcode on, and ask it to require a passcode after 1, 5 or 15 minutes. If you set this to 15 minutes, you can always turn of the display/screen (by pressing the top button, or waiting the auto-lock), and then bypass entering the passcode every 2 minutes in a text-conversation.

The timing is all about the level of security you want on your devices. Personally I think 15 minutes is too long, but maybe 5 minutes will help you in this situation. You will find all of these settings under the General settings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for reply. You understood me correctly and that exactly solved the issue. Thanks much