What's new

Trying to activate restored 2g

jappel2

Reaction score
I gave my grandson my old 2g to use as an ipod touch. He put in a passcode which he forgot and disabled it. I restored it, but how do I activate it without a sim card, if that is possible?

Remove the SIM card and restore it with iTunes. Just do what iTunes tells you to do, it won't mess up any plans. It will go all the way to activation and then say it can't. When you disconnect from iTunes it should allow you to use it like an iPod Touch and just say "No SIM" where the signal strength would normally be shown.

Remove the SIM card and restore it with iTunes. Just do what iTunes tells you to do, it won't mess up any plans. It will go all the way to activation and then say it can't. When you disconnect from iTunes it should allow you to use it like an iPod Touch and just say "No SIM" where the signal strength would normally be shown.

I did exactly as you said, and when I disconnected from iTunes, it has the icons for me to connect to iTunes, and says, No SIM card installed, insert a valid sim....etc... When I open (slide the arrow), I get the phone pad "emergency only"......

I just want to get this so the kid can use it again ..... any other suggestions?
I appreciate your help, by the way.

Last edited:
Try this. [ame]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4984986/how_to_activate_your_iphone_without_service_instantly/[/ame]

Seems quite easy. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful I have never touched a 2g

I did that...and I appreciate your trying to help...I've done it with sim car and without...right now I'm running "snowbreeze", and trying to jailbreak it....that should work if I can do it....I wonder if maybe because i'm using a "3g" sim card in a 2g iphone?????

jappel2 said:
I did that...and I appreciate your trying to help...I've done it with sim car and without...right now I'm running "snowbreeze", and trying to jailbreak it....that should work if I can do it....I wonder if maybe because i'm using a "3g" sim card in a 2g iphone?????

Sim card wouldn't matter.