What's new

Trouble restoring device

chaseYOOTH

Reaction score
I have a white 16 gb iphone, I'm not sure what gen or anything else about it. But it's stuck in recovery mode, the screen with the usb going to itunes. when I try to restore it, it get's about 75% percent done and then stops with the error message and code (1).

Now I'm been at this since yesterday, solid googling. I've searched and searched these forums and it seems this problem isn't as common as I was hoping.. I've tried putting it into dfu mode but it's unresponsive to buttons it seems. when I unplug it it shut's off completely. I've tried tiny umberella and when I try to kick it out or recovery, it just boots right back into it. I don't even have the option of "fix recovery"..

And yes I've made sure everything is up to date, I've tried on a mbp and a pc, tried switching cable's. I've tried all the common sense solutions and nothing is seeming to work.

please, I need some help. even just a direction to go in.

chaseYOOTH said:
I have a white 16 gb iphone, I'm not sure what gen or anything else about it. But it's stuck in recovery mode, the screen with the usb going to itunes. when I try to restore it, it get's about 75% percent done and then stops with the error message and code (1).

Now I'm been at this since yesterday, solid googling. I've searched and searched these forums and it seems this problem isn't as common as I was hoping.. I've tried putting it into dfu mode but it's unresponsive to buttons it seems. when I unplug it it shut's off completely. I've tried tiny umberella and when I try to kick it out or recovery, it just boots right back into it. I don't even have the option of "fix recovery"..

And yes I've made sure everything is up to date, I've tried on a mbp and a pc, tried switching cable's. I've tried all the common sense solutions and nothing is seeming to work.

please, I need some help. even just a direction to go in.

After you get error 1 your iPhone should reboot to a connect to iTunes screen. Open up the newest version of redsn0w and use fix recovery. If the option is grayed out, just close redsn0w and open it again.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iPF.net

I appreciate that, I'm willing to try anything to just make this iphone work.

Although I've tried redsn0w as well. That's where I keep running into the same deadend of it being unresponsive. I can't put it into dfu mode for me to be able to put it in pwnge dfu

after I unplug it it turns off after several seconds but otherwise the buttons are unresponsive altogether

Last edited:
chaseYOOTH said:
I appreciate that, I'm willing to try anything to just make this iphone work.

Although I've tried redsn0w as well. That's where I keep running into the same deadend of it being unresponsive. I can't put it into dfu mode for me to be able to put it in pwnge dfu

after I unplug it it turns off after several seconds but otherwise the buttons are unresponsive altogether

To enter dfu mode hold the home and sleep button for 10 seconds then release the sleep button while holding the home button until the phone is recognized.

To enter dfu mode hold the home and sleep button for 10 seconds then release the sleep button while holding the home button until the phone is recognized.

Again, The buttons are unresponsive when I try to go into dfu mode.

If the home button is broken then I'm not sure you can kick your iPhone out of recovery mode. No one has create up to date software to put an iPhone into dfu mode without buttons. You have to fix your buttons first. If they truly are unresponsive.

If the home button is broken then I'm not sure you can kick your iPhone out of recovery mode. No one has create up to date software to put an iPhone into dfu mode without buttons. You have to fix your buttons first. If they truly are unresponsive.

it's not possible that the buttons work its just not responsive to them? Otherwise I can try getting the buttons fixed

chaseYOOTH said:
it's not possible that the buttons work its just not responsive to them? Otherwise I can try getting the buttons fixed

I would recommend just trying a few times before you actually replace them. Just hold home and sleep for 10 seconds and hold the home button until it recognizes. You could possibly have to hold your home button a little harder or your finger lifts off the sleep button. Either way it should be an expensive fix. Unless you go to "professionals". I would try a DIY if you're comfortable with yourself doing repairs.