What's new

Transitioning from Blackberry

jmcrae

Reaction score
New iPhone 4 showed up today, guess I know what I'll be doing in my free time for a while. I did have a question though..

I have the Blackberry "trained" to annunciate (vibrate and/or ring) differently under different conditions. As the 'Berry has a sensor to tell whether it's in a holster or not - some of that functionality might not be possible with the iPhone, but what I want is the ability to have different "profiles" (I'm sure there's an iWord for that) depending on whether it's plugged into the charger or not (I use it as an alarm clock at night)

Normal mode: Phone - vibrate "x" times then ring
Email: Vibrate, no tone
Text: tone
Plugged in: no vibration, ring

One last thing - I currently use the Blackberry as my bedside clock/alarm clock. Alarm on the iPhone I'm sure I can find (and I hope I can set a "weekday only" mode). On the 'Berry, you can set it so it displays a clock whenever it's plugged into ground power, and also set "bedside mode" where it dims the clock.

Appreciate the help

Jeff@LAX

Good luck with the switch. I think you will enjoy the iphone over the blackberry

If you open the analog clock, which is also the alarm clock, you can set it for different times for any day of the week.

If you jailbreak your iPhone there is a Cydia application called "MyProfiles" which can somewhat simulate BlackBerrys profiles, unfortunately there is no way to do this with an unjailbroken phone since Apple does not allow apps that modify how the system files work. Yet another reason that jailbreaking will always be necessary on an iDevice :/

Yeah, I'll probably have to do that (jailbreak). A few things I've noticed:

What's up with the miniature clock? Need to find an app that has a big digital

iPhone's idea for speed dial (favorites) is an iJoke - picking WHICH app I'll use to solve that..

I already miss my LED from the blackberry. When the iPhone goes into sleep mode, you're in the dark as to whether you have VM, email, text messages, unless you set the phone to buzz/annunciate. Same thing for bluetooth connected - can we make that status any smaller??

Puzzling through how to get the phone to automatically input my VM password - I will NOT be playing with inputting that BS while I'm driving :)

iPhone's idea for speed dial (favorites) is an iJoke - picking WHICH app I'll use to solve that..

I already miss my LED from the blackberry. When the iPhone goes into sleep mode, you're in the dark as to whether you have VM, email, text messages, unless you set the phone to buzz/annunciate. Same thing for bluetooth connected - can we make that status any smaller??

Puzzling through how to get the phone to automatically input my VM password - I will NOT be playing with inputting that BS while I'm driving :)

Maybe try this app

App Store - Alarm Clock Pro

Visual voicemail shouldn't require a password every-time

Played a bit with voicemail yesterday, it's working ok for me. If I have a voicemail - it doesn't require a password. If I just hold the "1" down - it dials voicemail and asks for the password. I can live with that.

Can I set it to require the password if I lock it from the top button?

Well, a little over the week and I haven't emptied my .45 into it - that's a good thing :)

Is it just mine, or is the WiFi function pretty "deaf"? I have to be within one room of my wireless modem to get much more then "one bar"

I am 3 whole floors away from my wireless router and I get full bars. Could be bad signal coming from your router or could be a bad wi-fi antenna in your phone.

I'd have to suspect the phone - my laptop works on the WiFi pretty much anywhere. Is there a diagnostic for the iPhone's antenna?

I am a former blackberry addict. I use the iHome+sleep. Free Download. Nice clock with weather as well...which is cool. Great dim screen for "bedside mode" but not sure about how to turn off all other sounds and still hear alarm yet...When I won't be late to work, I'll try it out and let you know. :)