What's new

Looking for clock app

RdnckDad

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to the iPhone and am missing my clock from my Blackberry. When I would plug my BB in at night, it would automatically dim and show the clock. I want my iPhone to do the same thing as I use it for my alarm clock. I wake up several times throughout the night and would like to have the clock showing. Now I know there are clock apps that will display when launched, but I want something the does it automatically when I plug the phone in. Is there an app for that, or is that function already there and controled by settings that I obviously have not found? Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

I am right there with you. I had a BlackBerry storm, and loved how the clock came up as well as the Bedside Mode options that automatically dimmed the screen between certain hours. Unfortunately there is nothing for the iPhone (that I can find, and I've looked plenty) that matches this functionality. The closest thing I have found, which I also use, is the iHome+Sleep app. The app itself is free and does not require an iHome base (I don't have one). You'll have to load it up manually, but it does not go to lock screen when plugged in, and you can set a Bedtime dimmer level, although you have to actually set it into bedtime mode as well as tell it when you have woken up. It does allow you to set the snooze interval (iPhone clock doesn't). So while it doesn't come up automatically when plugged in and doesn't automatically go into or come out of bedtime mode, it's pretty decent and more or less does everything else.

Well, if you jail broke your phone, you could install a tweak or theme to make a clock show on the lockscreen. I have a theme on mine and this is what I see when I have the lockscreen on:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329935089.771744.jpg

What's nice is I have my iPhone charging at night. So, if I wish to see the time, I just press the sleep button, note the time and press the button again. Very handy for keeping a dark room at night...

Just a thought...

Marilyn

I do have an alarm clock app that shows the time and the colors can be changed to not be so bright. I guess I just got spoiled by not having to launch it. Thanks all for the responses. I did jail break the phone too. Any suggestions for cool inexpensive newbie apps?

iNurse - if you're asking me what theme is my lockscreen clock, it's LS HTC Clock. It's a Winterboard theme from Cydia; it's free, by the way. I changed the wallpaper from the one it came with.

I like it because it doesn't have a weather widget, which I think draws too much battery. So, this one has just the clock. I also like it because I don't have to launch it. It's always there whenever I see the lockscreen, whether plugged in or not.

Oh, and if you weren't asking me which theme, then never mind. :D

Marilyn

How about an app or tweak that will allow you to delete emails off the server? That was another thing I loved about me BB. You had the option to delete the email from the phone only or delete from the server. It helped get rid of spam so when I opened Outlook, I only mess with my Pc on the weekends, but when I opened outlook the only messages I had were the ones I left on the server. If you know of such a tweak or app please let me know. Thanks.

Chris

With regard to messaging, the iPhone and BlackBerry are very different devices by design. BlackBerry is able to offer robust messaging capabilities because of the BlackBerry Internet Service and/or BlackBerry Enterprise Service, which is essentially middleware that manages synchronization between your phone and a server. The iPhone simply comes with IMAP connectivity, which is just a standard internet protocol for basic integration with a messaging system. To have more advanced messaging options on the iPhone, you'd need a full-fledged app for this, not simply a "tweak" to the built-in mail app.
Also, if you are using Outlook to download messages from a POP mailbox, I would not expect there to be a whole lot you can do in relation to your phone. Why not just ditch Outlook and use your iPhone synched with your mail provider?

Well, if you jail broke your phone, you could install a tweak or theme to make a clock show on the lockscreen. I have a theme on mine and this is what I see when I have the lockscreen on:

View attachment 5213

What's nice is I have my iPhone charging at night. So, if I wish to see the time, I just press the sleep button, note the time and press the button again. Very handy for keeping a dark room at night...

Just a thought...

Marilyn

Just saw your response. LS HTC --- Do I have to get a theme or just add that through winter board? Not sure how to do it.

Oh, my apologies! I didn't get the clock from Cydia, I got it from a theme site called ithemesky.com. The full name of the clock is "LS HTC SClock iPhone 4" theme.

It's a free download, then you have to SSH into your iPhone to put it into the Themes part of the phone...

Again, sorry 'bout sending on a wild goose chase to Cydia.

Marilyn