What's new

Tim Cook Confirms Stock Application Deletion May Be Possible In The Future

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
stock_apps_-600x300.jpg
Unlike my significant other, who likes to bombard her iPhone's Springboard with almost every single app she downloads, most of us like to keep our applications in organized folders. This iteration of obsessive compulsive disorder causes Springboard real estate to be precious in some way.

Normally when an app we rarely use is taking up space on our devices, we can simply delete it, however that is not the case with stock iOS apps. In an interview with BuzzFeed News, Tim Cook mentioned that there might be a way to remove some unnecessary stock iOS applications in the future.

The Apple CEO stated that removing some stock apps would cause a problem in other places on iOS. For instance, clicking a link to an Apple Maps location after deleting the Maps app. Cook said that if stock app removal were to be possible, it would only be for applications that don't really link anywhere; Podcasts, Tips, Compass, Stocks etc. For now, just stick your unwanted apps deep into some folder.

Well, half a loaf of something is better than a whole loaf of nothing. Thank you, Apple!

In all fairness though, it's not as bad as the bloatware on non-Google Play edition devices with all the carrier junk pre-installed. Yeah, I'm looking at you Verizon...

In all fairness though, it's not as bad as the bloatware on non-Google Play edition devices with all the carrier junk pre-installed. Yeah, I'm looking at you Verizon...
Very good point. That was actually the 'last straw' that contributed to my switch to iOS.

It would be great to be able to delete at least some of it, It's an annoyance to everyone.