What's new

These people that say, "which model and which tariff?"

islandman

Reaction score
When people say "I don't know which phone to buy and which tariff to select?" it makes me smile, then I found myself saying exactly that.

Taking the tariff question first,I decided to go for the lowest amount of data per month, but before that decision was made, looked at this website How much is 500MB, 1GB, 2GB of mobile internet data? - Confused.com and thought 250mb would be my starting point. By keeping data OFF I would use local wifi hotspots which once registered, would connect each time I visited that area, which it does. At home and with family, I connect to home wifi. Today is the last day of the month and I have 83MB left, so I am quietly satisfied. Any data left, doesn't roll over though. I can increase data allowance but can't decrease.

As for texts, I normally use any of the social media sties to message and in fact, for some calls/video calls too.

As for the model I have, I am quite happy with it.

Overnight, I have made another discovery.
Settings>Data on> "Use mobile data for" then presents a long list of apps all of them highlighted. By sliding the slide bar of each, one by one, you can turn off those which need not be on when out and about using limited data. I had 41 lit up using mobile data. Now there are only 12 (Contacts,Facebook,Facetime,Mail,Messenger,My EE,Rain-Alarm,Safari,Sky news,Skype, Whatsapp,WiFi finder,Wunderground.). It might be that I stop a few more.

My son-in-law discovered that by closing most of the apps his 250MB of data, was more than enough as when he was within his home wifi or any wifi hotspot where he had registered, those turned off, came into play anyway.

It's not being mean or frugal, it's all about making things work FOR YOU. Today is the first day of my 250MB allawance so I will see how it goes. The My EE is an app that shows on a daily basis, what data/mins you have used and how much is left, I intend to monitor this closely.

You should also turn off Wi-Fi Assist. It's at the bottom of that list you described. When enabled, it automatically lets the enabled apps use your mobile data, if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. This could use up data without you noticing why.

Yes, that is off, but thanks anyway. I suppose most people know about this, but just in case one person out there doesn't, it might help them. I am convinced that some people can be frightened of using the internet on their phone, and we read so much about people receiving huge un-looked for bills, so any amount of help regarding this can only do good.

When folk start off a post with "this is a dumb question.....", it isn't because if you don't know the answer, you need to ask. No longer am I put off by people that throw back smart answers or simply copy a line which leads to Q's & A's as if to say, "go look for yourself". It dosen't take a minute to extend the hand of friendship and knowledge to help someone

When folk start off a post with "this is a dumb question.....", it isn't because if you don't know the answer, you need to ask. No longer am I put off by people that throw back smart answers or simply copy a line which leads to Q's & A's as if to say, "go look for yourself". It dosen't take a minute to extend the hand of friendship and knowledge to help someone

I frequently will copy and paste an answer because I know it will explain things more clearly than I can, not because I am saying do it yourself. Perhaps others who have answered in this way feel the same.