What's new

How much data do I need for iPhone?

krisztiana

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying an iPhone 4 but I'm not sure how much data to get.
I've tried the online data calculators but I just can't seem to get a consistent answer. Some say 500mb should be plenty, while others say I should go for 1gb. So I think it's best to ask for your personal experience (taking into consideration the following things

- I am a high school student so I would use some data at school and on my 2hr total bus time to get to and from school (from 7:30am to 4:30pm), but I have wi-fi at home that I would use for the rest of my evenings and mornings (from 4:30pm - 7:30am).
- Based on my current internet usage on my iPod touch (that I'm getting rid of for an iPhone), I browse a pretty fair amount of webpages whenever I can get wi-fi (estimated at like 15/day) but that obviously depends on the day.
- I'm on facebook ALL THE TIME using the facebook for iPod/iPhone app (so it doesn't use as much data).
- I also love to watch youtube videos. It depends on the day, but I'd say a good 15mins/day (if not more some days) but that would mostly be when I'm at home so I'd be connected to that wi-fi.
- I don't use a lot of email, but I recieve about 10 emails/week and only send out about 1/2 as much (aka 5 emails/week).
- And after the first month I don't download apps really at all. Like maybe 2/month.
And that's about it!

So based on your personal experience or your extreme intelligence and my information given above, how much data do I need? 500mb or 1gb?
Thank you for your help!

I'm planning on buying an iPhone 4 but I'm not sure how much data to get.
I've tried the online data calculators but I just can't seem to get a consistent answer. Some say 500mb should be plenty, while others say I should go for 1gb. So I think it's best to ask for your personal experience (taking into consideration the following things

- I am a high school student so I would use some data at school and on my 2hr total bus time to get to and from school (from 7:30am to 4:30pm), but I have wi-fi at home that I would use for the rest of my evenings and mornings (from 4:30pm - 7:30am).
- Based on my current internet usage on my iPod touch (that I'm getting rid of for an iPhone), I browse a pretty fair amount of webpages whenever I can get wi-fi (estimated at like 15/day) but that obviously depends on the day.
- I'm on facebook ALL THE TIME using the facebook for iPod/iPhone app (so it doesn't use as much data).
- I also love to watch youtube videos. It depends on the day, but I'd say a good 15mins/day (if not more some days) but that would mostly be when I'm at home so I'd be connected to that wi-fi.
- I don't use a lot of email, but I recieve about 10 emails/week and only send out about 1/2 as much (aka 5 emails/week).
- And after the first month I don't download apps really at all. Like maybe 2/month.
And that's about it!

So based on your personal experience or your extreme intelligence and my information given above, how much data do I need? 500mb or 1gb?
Thank you for your help!

i have 500 and i dont feel like i do much some months and i still come close if not just over the 500 i dont ever use youtube either which uses a lot of data so i would say 1GB for sure

Facebook whenever in school, internet browsing, some pictures and files to download or to upload whenever in the school, no radio streaming, no youtube, no online tv, u will hardly finish 1gb in 30days. Based on my experience, i will just say that 500mb is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I nee 500MB a month and I am also tethering a lot! So I guess 500MB is really all you need

Facebook whenever in school, internet browsing, some pictures and files to download or to upload whenever in the school, no radio streaming, no youtube, no online tv, u will hardly finish 1gb in 30days. Based on my experience, i will just say that 500mb is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but the OP said 15 minutes of youtube a day, 500MB would be used in a week

Thank you for all your input, the majority seems to say 1gb so I think I'm going to go for 1gb.
Especially since this is a 3yr term and I don't want to constantly struggle to stay under 500mb every single month for the next 3 yrs.

And I did say 15mins of youtube/day, but I also said that I would only really use youtube when I'm at home with wi-fi and I'm pretty sure if I'm connected to wi-fi it doesn't use data, right?

Thank you for all your input, the majority seems to say 1gb so I think I'm going to go for 1gb.
Especially since this is a 3yr term and I don't want to constantly struggle to stay under 500mb every single month for the next 3 yrs.

And I did say 15mins of youtube/day, but I also said that I would only really use youtube when I'm at home with wi-fi and I'm pretty sure if I'm connected to wi-fi it doesn't use data, right?

correct if you see your wifi signal bars were 3G normally is then your free to use all the data you want without it coming out of your carrier limit, but be carefull with streaming and downloading it uses more data then you think, im on 500MB and i never use youtube off my wifi and i usually end the month around 350-450MB last month i though what the heck ill try a few videos and no like i maybe watched 20-30mins of video durning the whole month and thats all i did different then other months and i ended last month at 601MB