What's new

Reset my network settings.....and some weird stuff happened

RedAlert

Reaction score
For the past week, my battery life became absolutely horrendous. Like a full charge to 42% in standby in a 6 hour time frame with nothing running, no emails/texts received and only fetching email once an hour. Looking around I found a few posts on apples site saying to reset network settings, because sometimes something gets hung up and continues to run when it doesnt have to. At the same time, i figured I would disable all of the system notifications(cell search, iads etc).
After resetting and restarting the phone would not find the Sprint network at all. It worked fine, but only on an "extended network". I looked through my setting and saw I had "celluar data" turned to off(has been since I got the phone last month), which is fine because I have and use wifi at home and work. I turned "celluar data" back on and it instantly went onto Sprints network. I also started receiving a TON of MMS messages that were sent 3 weeks ago, that I had never received. And also 2 voice mails from two different calls from the prior week, that I never got notifications for.

So my question is.....1) Do you need to have cell data turned on to receive MMS messages and voicemails?(I thought cell data was just for email, and web surfing) 2)Could these "lost" messages be the cause of my phones battery issues? 3) Why would cell data have to be turned on for the phone to connect to the Sprint network? 4) Does cell data really use up that much more battery being turned on?

I can't answer all your questions being new (4 months?) iPhone user myself BUT yes you DO need cell data on I never shut it off, do you get phone calls when cell is off? Curious lol
I'm assuming you got your stuff cause cell data got turned back on if I was going to use wifi only than the itouch works fine with the text now application and toss a few dollars (very cheap) for calls.
I double click home screen than close apps that sometimes remain open by putting finger on the bottom where the open apps are than click the - red to turn off.
I fetch every hour I believe as well and ten off notifications for games I'm not playing etc at the momment(like words, family fued whatever )
My iPhone4 works all day without a recharge and with normal use to heavy use.
My daughter though has her settings all up and texts non stop where by 7pm
She needs a charge.

I would suggest a mophie juice phone or boost case.
I was considering it but don't need to and I'd never get rid of 3G(cell data) that's why I pay what I pay for lol:)
It's like paying for a monthly cable bill and unplugging the cable wire.. Unless sprint and AT&T are different w their cellular stuff.
Good luck and any smart phone you will notice battery drama, considering my android prior to this I'm happy as heck!
Blackberry was about same battery pretty much.. More or less.
Hope there's better help cause that's all I can think of other than of course the screen lit etc
Hago

Yep, even with cell data off, I can still make and receive calls just fine. During the time i had it off, I still got text messages just fine. The only reason I turned it off to begin with is that under the setting it says"turn off cell data to force all data ie email, web browsing to go through wifi", so I figured why not flip it to off if I'm in a wifi area

RedAlert said:
Yep, even with cell data off, I can still make and receive calls just fine. During the time i had it off, I still got text messages just fine. The only reason I turned it off to begin with is that under the setting it says"turn off cell data to force all data ie email, web browsing to go through wifi", so I figured why not flip it to off if I'm in a wifi area

I wish someone would reply:(
That's good to know:)
I notice that when I'm home it just shows the wifi lines and no 3G
When I'm outside it shows 3G and I turn wifi off cause its always looking for a wifi connection.(battery drainage for me)

I never went and turned off 3G though only wifi so that's interesting.

RedAlert said:

I agree why not!! You'll save on data usage!
I pay 25$ just so I don't go over the plan and pay 30$..(data)

$image-1807290838.jpg

Here is how my location services is setup. The time zone location is a major battery hog. Also never turn cell data off because it's how your mms canes into your phone, don't know bout voice mails.