What's new

The missing led notification light

I always turn my phone off at night so I don't have to worry about it! :)
No way! My cell phone is always my emergency phone at night, kids call it in case of emergency because they know its there by my bedside..its programmed into their cell phones, kinda like a Batphone..or Batsignal? lol

I found this out after I received the phone... Yes it is very disappointing in my opinion. I hate having to turn on the phone just to check for a text or email. The alert options for this phone are very inadequate.

Maybe the next version will address this?

x2

very disappointing.

I do NOT miss it at all, it was extremely annoying at night, flashing next to my bed in a dark room, I would have turned it face down, except it always had to be in the charging dock, battery life was awful, I miss nothing about my BB or Android phones..

I absolutely agree! I don't miss the blinking light at all! I'd turn my Droid face down as well. I love my iphone!

Easy remedy. Have the LED notification light, and allow you to turn it off if you wish. Blackberry and Droid let you turn it off if you wanted.

It's better to give people the option, rather then just omit it completely.

If the phone had every option under the sun, it would cost a fortune. If the LED light is that important, I suggest staying with an Android or BB. Although even some of the Androids don't have notification lights either.

Easy remedy. Have the LED notification light, and allow you to turn it off if you wish. Blackberry and Droid let you turn it off if you wanted.

It's better to give people the option, rather then just omit it completely.

Turning off the notification wasn't an option on my Droid-X that I was aware of? I used to have to place it face down on my night stand? And my BB strom-2 used to have auto on/off which is something I miss a lot! I still cant believe that auto on/off isn't an option on all phones?

Semi off topic but question: How are you guys liking the notification system on ios after using android in the past? Seriously thinking about switching from a Droid X once this years iPhone gets here. The notification system on android is nice though.

Last edited:
If the phone had every option under the sun, it would cost a fortune. If the LED light is that important, I suggest staying with an Android or BB. Although even some of the Androids don't have notification lights either.

Have any idea what a RGB SMD LED costs? I do...about .20 in small quanity, Apple would pay $.05 or less per LED at their volume, plus a HW serial driver, $0.25. CAD it on the motherboard, maybe a couple of hours tops. Pay a programmer for one day to get it implemented in the OS. Now divide his pay and the hardware cost by the millions of phones they sell. The result is infinitesimal, and I would gladly pay a $5.00 extra for the phone if it had the LED, and I would write my own tricks into it. The cost should be trivial to Apple to get a notification LED on the iPhone. So I don't get why they don't, if some users don't want it flashing then option to turn it off, just like the Blackberry can. Could this be this be a patent problem? How could it be, my Sanyo had the LED 15 years ago.
Anybody know what Android phones have an RGB notification LED? I have been casually looking but haven't found one that you can see from across the room and is RGB.

I kinda miss my led notification light :( and my light never bothered me at night. It really wasn't bright enough to effect me or I'm just a sound sleeper. For the android user does anyone remember the app NoLed? It would allow you to set notifications for text, email, missed calls, ect and it would leave the screen black but show a floating icon to alert you. I wish we had an app like that. I would pay for an app like that.

If you are jailbroken....search "flashenhancer" in cydia. The tweak lets you use your camera led flash to act as a visual notifier and set options for incoming calls, sms, text, etc...I have not tried it though.