What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

Ok, the jailbreak is done now what do I use to carrier unlock it?
I have a 4s, doesn't look like I can software unlock a 4s :(
You have to go to your carrier and ask if they'll unlock the phone. There are also third party unlocking services that may be able to help. Jailbreaking your iPhone doesn't give you the ability to unlock it. Unlocking and Jailbreaking are two completely separate operations.

If your phone is out of contract, you own that phone and the carrier legally must unlock it if you ask them. If they refuse, get as much info from the person refusing to unlock it (their name, operator number, supervisors name) and go to fcc.gov and file a complaint.

AT&T tried to tell me they couldn't unlock my iPhone about 2 years ago. When I told the operator/CSR it's Federal LAW that they have to unlock out of contract phones, the CSR's tune changed instantly. She transferred me to another CSR and within minutes my iPhone was submitted to Apple to be unlocked.

Yeah, I know now that Unlock and Jailbreak are two different things and unfortunately this is a phone that I found so not registered to me.

Yeah, I know now that Unlock and Jailbreak are two different things and unfortunately this is a phone that I found so not registered to me.
In that case, all I can suggest is turn that iPhone in to the proper authorities as that phone legally belongs to the person who lost it, not to you who found it. Finding a lost iPhone does not confer legal ownership of that iPhone to you.

Last edited:
You're welcome. I hope your wait for the next jailbreak is not too long.

I hope too for next jailbreak to be soon, maybe before Christmas like a gift [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm debating if I jump on the next jailbreak ...I've always run most phones rooted and Rom

6s plus Tapatalk
The risk of debating whether or not to jailbreak runs the very real risk that Apple will release an iOS version that blocks the jailbreak, then stop signing the jailbreakable version before you decide to try the latest jailbreak.

The risk of debating whether or not to jailbreak runs the very real risk that Apple will release an iOS version that blocks the jailbreak, then stop signing the jailbreakable version before you decide to try the latest jailbreak.

I plan on doing plenty of reading and research before anything but just wondering since you mentioned can't I just restore to the point before jailbreak ...I'm new to iPhone so probably a noob question ..

6s plus Tapatalk

I plan on doing plenty of reading and research before anything but just wondering since you mentioned can't I just restore to the point before jailbreak ...I'm new to iPhone so probably a noob question ..

6s plus Tapatalk
Apple only allows reverting to a previous software version, if it's still signed by them. At this moment, the ones available are 9.2 (the most recent) and 9.1 (the one before 9.2). Both can't be jailbroken at the moment.

If you try to install a different iOS, not signed by Apple, you'll get an error, and it will be impossible to proceed. The reason why it's working that way, is because iTunes/your iPhone is connecting to Apple's servers while installing the software, to make sure the right one will be installed.

Apple only allows reverting to a previous software version, if it's still signed by them. At this moment, the ones available are 9.2 (the most recent) and 9.1 (the one before 9.2). Both can't be jailbroken at the moment.

If you try to install a different iOS, not signed by Apple, you'll get an error, and it will be impossible to proceed. The reason why it's working that way, is because iTunes/your iPhone is connecting to Apple's servers while installing the software, to make sure the right one will be installed.

Thanks for reply ...so once a jailbreak for current signed version is release one can choose to jailbreak ...and if I want to go back I can restore to current sign if I don't want jailbreak ..

6s plus Tapatalk