What's new

Texting photos problem

You need to make sure iMessage AND FaceTime are turned on in Settings. They are interdependent. If they are turned on and you are still having problems, turn them both off on every device you have, and then back on again. Sometimes they seem to need this "reboot".

Kevin, I don't have Facetime turned on and my iMessage works! But, it certainly may help to set up and have Facetime working though.

Last edited:
Woe song she dose not have an ipad. My failure message dose not offer to send as text it dosed it automatically but still no picture.

Ok she was at the airport coming home and was able to setup iMessage and all worked fine, but when not near wifi she can't send iMessage so I guess it is dependent in wifi or data she dose have unlimited text though? Also my other problem is still here, still cannot send or receive pictures using text.

Yes iMessage can be used with wifi or as you say can be used if you have credit or a data plan on your phone, I'm not sure why you can't iMessage photos though, I haven't got an iPhone handy but I'm sure it works the same as on my iPad, Are you clicking on the little camera icon on the left of the text box in iMessage.

Sorry I might have written that wrong. I can send pictures with iMessage but can't with text. So wifi or data IS needed to use iMessage right?

Yes, iMessage over wifi is free but if you're not near wifi it will use your data, It only uses a very small amount though, I think you will find it better to use iMessage especially for photos.

Ok thank you now if I can only figure out why I can't send photos via text

You're welcome, I'm not sure why thats happening but maybe someone else will be able to help there.

have you tried sending a photo to someone else? And if you are not using iMessage, then a photo is considered MMS (multimedia)...make sure your cellular plan is set up correctly for MMS.

When you say "photos via text", do you mean via iMessage or SMS/MMS? If you mean as a regular SMS text, be sure both iMessage and "Send as SMS" are turned on in settings. See pic: Try sending a photo to yourself. If you receive it, then the problem is not with your phone. It would be on the other end. $image-3885766568.jpg

Last edited:
yes it is all on, I am trying to send photo imessage but since they are not near wifi it goes as text message and not delivered

yes it is all on, I am trying to send photo imessage but since they are not near wifi it goes as text message and not delivered
Does your cellular carrier allow picture texting? Some that do allow it charge extra as well.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator