What's new

Can't text my wife but can text my daughter

mrbeal

Reaction score
I have a 5s, my wife has a 5c and my daughter has a 5s. I cannot text my wife and she can't text me but we can both send and receive texts from our daughter(we can all send and receive texts form other people). We are all on the same Verizon plan, what is happening?

Nope, I checked (at least I checked mine)... It started a couple days ago right after I had to fix my wifes phone after the daughter changed some setting and she couldn't get email. I just can't figure out what else I need to go into and look at.

Nope, I checked (at least I checked mine)... It started a couple days ago right after I had to fix my wifes phone after the daughter changed some setting and she couldn't get email. I just can't figure out what else I need to go into and look at.
Check all 3 phones in messages. Go to Settings>Messages>Sent and Received. 1. Make sure each shows the correct number. 2. On the "You can be reached at" section, make sure the phone number is checked. 3. On the "Start New Conversations From" section, make sure ONLY the number is checked. Then go back and Toggle off iMessage, then toggle it back on. Let us know if that works or not.

Do you recall what you did in trying to fix what your daughter did? Does she recall what she did?

Last edited:
Well, I went into my phone and had an awful time trying to figure out what you meant by the "You can be reached at" section and the "Start New Conversations From" section as I didn't see them in my phone settings. I fugured "what the heck" and toggled iMessage off and onn again and both of those sections were now showing. However, I still can't text my wife and won't be able to get at her phone until tonight when she gets home from work. It has to bve a setting in my wifes phone.....

Well, a funny thing happened when I got hold of my wifes phone last night. I thought it would be a good idea to delete our ongoing texts and start fresh. When I deleted her messages and started to put her name in to start a new line of texts her name popped up with some texts already sent and responded to. It was at this point that I remembered that sometimes I will send her a text and when she responds it comes back like it's a different contact but it's still all her information. When I started texting her with that "contact" (for lack of a better word) it all worked fine. Anyway, I had her go through her phone today after I read the items listed above to try again and her "Start New Conversations From" was checked off as her email instead of her number. She was also (only yesterday?) having trouble getting and receiving texts from a friend of hers too andI bet this was the problem. I have yet to hear from her as to if the problem is completely fixed or not.
Now, I do have a question... why is it that if I start a new line of texts with her it will sometimes come back as a second "contact" in my messages list?

Are you sure it's not the IMsg that's an issue. I know that I used to have similar problems when texting my dad it always came back that the message sending had failed. When I pressed the i button at the side of the message it gave the option to send as a text message, but there is an option to do this permanently, you will find it in the settings, then messages. I must have either switched it off accidentally or it was always turned off. It says send as sms (that is if imsg is not available. Not saying it is this but may be worth looking just in case

Mike A

Sorry read your first message then I noticed you were then talking about email! Which one is the problem text or email? If it's email then disregard my earlier message about imsg settings.

Mike A

Sorry read your first message then I noticed you were then talking about email! Which one is the problem text or email? If it's email then disregard my earlier message about imsg settings.

Mike A

No, not email... texting/iMessage. The problem seems to be fixed between my wife and me. It was either her email being selected as "Start New Conversations From" or the other "contact" in my phone that I got rid of (the conversation that is). There is only one contact for my wife in my phone and it does include her phone number and email address.
As for her friend that she can't text with... she hasn't complained about it since the other night so it's possibly fixed since she changed her "Start New Conversations From" to her phone number.

Good,glad you got it sorted there's nothing worse than things going wrong & your not sure where,how or when things went wrong. At least you've got it sorted.

Mike A

Anderson that's my cousin mike Anderson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk