What's new

Tethering on an iphone

tessek07

Reaction score
Any app to tether an iphone 4 with 4.1 firmware without jailbreaking out there?

I heard there was a flashlight app that did this but since has been removed by apple from the app store?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. We can't even jailbreak this firmware yet and with ATT charging a ridiculous price for this one feature I cant seem to find a solution.

Tethering is a basic necessity that all should have on every damm phone:) Internet on the go is as essential as you can get and for us to not have this is a crime.

Last edited:
I need this too badly! I'll survive without a jailbreak but I need my iPhone 4 unlocked!

The only way you could have tethered your iPhone without jailbreaking it is to have been fortunate enough to get the "handy light" app before it was pulled shortly after it was released. Funny, I took a couple screen shots of the "handy light" icon in the iPhone app store as it was briefly at the top of its category. When you were in the "categories page", the handy light icon was the main icon for "utilities".

I was lucky enough, by chance, to have been searching engadget when the story broke and quickly downloaded it about 15 minutes before it was pulled.

It works like a charm! The only problem is that you can only browse the web using Safari. Firefox doesn't work, and iChat doesn't work, among other internet programs. I haven't tried it on a PC.

One day, I was really bored at work and disconnected my ethernet cable and ran my computer tethered to my phone all day.

You can still get the "Handy Light" app. All you have to do is find someone who has it, and let them authorize your account after sharing the .ipa file with you. Anyone can authorize up to 5 people to share their apps with.

I'd help you out, but I already reached my limit.

Otherwise, you'll have to jailbreak.

Homer

The only way you could have tethered your iPhone without jailbreaking it is to have been fortunate enough to get the "handy light" app before it was pulled shortly after it was released. Funny, I took a couple screen shots of the "handy light" icon in the iPhone app store as it was briefly at the top of its category. When you were in the "categories page", the handy light icon was the main icon for "utilities".

I was lucky enough, by chance, to have been searching engadget when the story broke and quickly downloaded it about 15 minutes before it was pulled.

It works like a charm! The only problem is that you can only browse the web using Safari. Firefox doesn't work, and iChat doesn't work, among other internet programs. I haven't tried it on a PC.

One day, I was really bored at work and disconnected my ethernet cable and ran my computer tethered to my phone all day.

You can still get the "Handy Light" app. All you have to do is find someone who has it, and let them authorize your account after sharing the .ipa file with you. Anyone can authorize up to 5 people to share their apps with.

Homer

Thanks Homer. would have been great to get that file from you:( thanks for the explanation of options out there. Not good news for me but atleast i have an answer now.

Homer

I need this too badly! I'll survive without a jailbreak but I need my iPhone 4 unlocked!

I'm very new to the Iphone and smart phones in general and not technically savvy. I saw this personal hotspot that is referenced in the previous post setting option in the iPhone user guide...does this provide the tethering necessary for using the Iphone to browse on my PC? How does one go about finding the information to complete the personal hotspot information?