What's new

Syncronization iTunes without losing applications

mtiran

Reaction score
I need to syncronize applications between iPhone and iTunes. I have all my applications in the iPhone. When trying to mark the syncronization box in iTunes there a window pops up saying that all the applications on the iphone will be replaced by those of iTunes. As there are no one applications in iTunes (I have just reformatted the computer), it means I will lose all the applications. Any help on how to proceed to save my iphone app. to itunes? tx

This might work, goto the "Store" tab in the upper left hand side of iTunes, click on it, and then click on the "Check for available downloads", this should download all the apps you have on your iPhone that aren't in iTunes, in your case hopefully all of them. When I have downloaded an app on my iPhone or iPad, the next time I synced that app was uploaded to iTunes.

This might work, goto the "Store" tab in the upper left hand side of iTunes, click on it, and then click on the "Check for available downloads", this should download all the apps you have on your iPhone that aren't in iTunes, in your case hopefully all of them. When I have downloaded an app on my iPhone or iPad, the next time I synced that app was uploaded to iTunes.

Thank you very much. It didn't work. AppleStore says "all the applications have been downloaded" and no consecutive action is possible. Does anybody has an idea about how to solve this problem?

mtiran said:
Thank you very much. It didn't work. AppleStore says "all the applications have been downloaded" and no consecutive action is possible. Does anybody has an idea about how to solve this problem?

Why exactly do you need to sync with iTunes so often anyway? I really never understood why some people have to "sync" with iTunes once a day, or once a week or whatever. Dont get it..

First...enable "Manually Manage Music" in iPhones Summary tab in iTunes. This applies to everything...apps, tones, videos...not just music.

Then try disabling automatic syncing.

iTunes....top left corner

Edit
Preferences
Devices
Check the box beside "Stop iPhones, iPods,,ads from syncing automatically".

Your device will not sync as soon as it connects to iTunes now. It is still beyond me that this is not enabled by "default".

Now when you click the Sync button...nothing will be deleted..nor added to your phone. This is because "Manually Manage" music is enabled.

Every time you want to sync anything "to" your iPhone you can simply drag and drop and app, ringtone, book, video/movie/ song, or playlist to your iPhone.

My iPhone almost never connects to iTunes.

I sync with iTunes once "before" a restore.

And once "after" a restore.

That is it. Between that point in time...my device pretty much never connects to iTunes....I mean...unless I'm about to restore it.

Tho I never restore from backups(and never will) do that may be why. Even if I did I still wouldn't sync with iTunes all the time. All that needed IMHO is to sync *once* before and after restore...unless you need to transfer something in particular I suppose.

After setting up Itunes as Zig specifies.
And only after setting up Itunes as Zig describes
Join ph to Itunes
Right click on ph in itunes
Choose transfer purchases
All that you downloaded to your ph will be synced to itunes with no losses
Now you can click on the Apps tab in Itunes and see all of them