What's new

Swypelike app

grooveguru

Reaction score
Is there an iPhone app similar to Swype? Probably biggest thing I miss from Android

Nope. And if you decide to jailbreak and try the port of it, you will be disappointed as well.

U don't have to jail break the phone....how about u try the app first....how can u report on something u havent used yet...

Seven months ago when I switched to iPhone, the very first thing I did was look for Swype for the iPhone. When I could not find it, I called the company that makes it. They told me two things:

1) Swype was not available for iOS.

2) Swype would never be available for iOS legally.

The reason for this is very simple. Apple doesn't allow the user, unless they are jailbroken, to replace ANY CORE APPS. The keyboard on iOS is consider a core app. Also Apple tried to buy Swype and when they declined, that was the final nail in Apple ever dealing with Swype again, since Apple does not want to have to license a technology unless there is no other legal choice.

I have done my homework. It can be researched and proven as fact.

Hint - Swype | Text Input for Screens - Look for the word iPhone.

Where's your homework that proves otherwise?

Last edited:
Seven months ago when I switched to iPhone, the very first thing I did was look for Swype for the iPhone. When I could not find it, I called the company that makes it. They told me two things:

1) Swype was not available for iOS.

2) Swype would never be available for iOS legally.

The reason for this is very simple. Apple doesn't allow the user, unless they are jailbroken, to replace ANY CORE APPS. The keyboard on iOS is consider a core app. Also Apple tried to buy Swype and when they declined, that was the final nail in Apple ever dealing with Swype again, since Apple does not want to have to license a technology unless there is no other legal choice.

I have done my homework. It can be researched and proven as fact.

Hint - Swype | Text Input for Screens - Look for the word iPhone.

Where's your homework that proves otherwise?

Never say never. Now that Nuance owns Swype things may change...

Never say never. Now that Nuance owns Swype things may change...

That deal hasn't finalized legally yet. So I don't count ANYTHING till the lawyers are done.

Also, do you honestly expect Nuance to give Apple a free license to Swype? Because Nuance bought them to make money and since Apple doesn't want to pay a license fee, nothing will have changed. Now could Nuance surprise me and try to make a multilevel deal with Apple with Swype being the tipping factor? Sure. But with as many Android handsets that are being sold and Swype making money off of each one, I doubt they want to do that.

That deal hasn't finalized legally yet. So I don't count ANYTHING till the lawyers are done.

Also, do you honestly expect Nuance to give Apple a free license to Swype? Because Nuance bought them to make money and since Apple doesn't want to pay a license fee, nothing will have changed. Now could Nuance surprise me and try to make a multilevel deal with Apple with Swype being the tipping factor? Sure. But with as many Android handsets that are being sold and Swype making money off of each one, I doubt they want to do that.

I just came from Android and Swype is not making money off each and every one. Only certain models have Swype, the others are still running off the beta offering.
I also do not expect them to give anything to Apple...

I just came from Android and Swype is not making money off each and every one. Only certain models have Swype, the others are still running off the beta offering.
I also do not expect them to give anything to Apple...

Next time I will be more clear. Each and every Android phone that has it installed before the user buys it.