What's new

Switching 3G AT&T to Verizon????

cbdeajr

Reaction score
My wife upgraded her phone and switched from AT&T to Verizon. I would like to use her old phone with is a 3G but the kid at the store said that it will only work with AT&T. I sure that he does not know if that is true, but is only interested in selling new equipment. How can I go about switching the old phone so it will work on Verizon. Will replacing the simm card take care of the sitch? Where do you get a new simm card? I am new at most of this phone stuff so any help is appreciated.

An iPhone 3G on At&t, in an Unlocked state, will only work on GSM wireless carriers. Verizon is a CDMA wireless carrier. Will not work... sorry.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/members/thomasjtsi-40789/
user-online.png
Thomasjtsi is correct. even if the phone were to be unlocked the GSM radios in the phone would never be able to work on Verizon's CDMA network. It may be possible with an AT&T iPhone 4S............But would probably take a real "profesional" to deactivate the GSM radio and activate the CDMA one. I have never heard of such a thing, not even on a 4S tho.

What carriers use the GSM radio network beside AT&T?
Cecil

cbdeajr said:
What carriers use the GSM radio network beside AT&T?
Cecil

T-Mobile.

Can use your phone with Straight Talk. $45 a month with unlimited everything. Just buy a SIM and put in in the phone.

Must be jailbroken to get data and MMS to work tho.

I'm not an unlocker, so not sure how T-Mobile works.

To use a GSM iPhone on Straight Talk does not require an unlock.

I got a sim from Straight Talk, complete with instructions. It was so simple and quick that I can't remember how to do it. Most of my text are iMessage and I use the Google text service for others, but it seems I did what was necessary to mms not Apple equiptment, as well. Go for it. $5/mo with identical service as an AT&T subscriber.