What's new

super noob please be gentle

ttrevor

Reaction score
hey first of all sorry if my question sounds really dumb, please use simple terms when answering...

i've never owned an iphone before. in fact, i've never owned any apple products or any smart phones. my current phone is 8 years old and all it can do it make phone calls and text message....

i recently won a 500$ apple gift card and am thinking of buying the new iphone 4s coming out tomorrow, obviously this is a huge leap in technology for me...

i read that in america "unlocked" (means no contract?) version comes out in november, but here in canada, we can buy unlocked tomorrow from apple retail store for 649$+tax, so thats the one i'm going to get

so when i open the box and take the phone out, what are the steps that i need to take before i can start using it? can the phone do anything in its just-out-of-box state?

i read somewhere that u need to "activate" the phone? what does this process entail? wut is its purpose?

i also read somewhere that i need to "buy a micro sim card?" how much does it cost? i read that you can buy it from apple store or rogers (canadian carrier) store, whats the difference between buying from apple and buying from carrier? does it come with a data plan?

so after i stick in sim card and activate, can i use my phone yet???

thanks soooo much for anyone that helps

Last edited:
Welcome to the apple family first, and second there is no such thing as a dumb question, we were all noobs once, lol

When you buy your phone from the apple store it is not unlocked, when you go through the ordering process on apple.com you will get to a point where you select your carrier of choice, if upgrade or new customer and then the type of plan that you want from what each carrier offers.

Once you receive your 4s from apple in the mail it will be ready to go after a few setup steps when you first turn it on that are required to activate the new phone. With the 4s this should be much easier as it is pre loaded with ios5 and therefore no computer/ iTunes connection needed.

Once you go through the few setup steps you should be good to go as it will activate through the carrier you chose at purchase and that plan.

You can buy an unlocked phone I believe in November, however they are usually very expensive.

Hope this helps, good lick, and congratulations!

thanks for reply but sorrrrrry i forgot to say... here in canada we can buy unlocked phone starting tomorrow directly from apple retail store... i really shoulda mentioned that in my first post... its $649+tax, thats the one im going to get.... hopefully the rest of my questions make more sense now...

last 2 posts were useless, someone please help

To activate your new device you'll need to decide whether to go with a CDMA carrier, or a GSM carrier.

If you go with GSM, then you'll need to buy a Micro SIM and have it activated with your carrier of choice. Then pop it in the iPhone and your good to go.

If you decide CDMA, then you can have the device activated over the phone or online with your carrier of choice. CDMA doesn't use SIM cards.

So your main decision is which carrier to go with then go from there!

Hope this helps :)!

thank you..

so if its gsm, where do i buy & activate the micro sim, from apple retail store or from the carrier's store?

and if my phone is unlocked no-contract then does that mean i could buy multiple sims from various carrriers and switch between them?

thank you..

so if its gsm, where do i buy & activate the micro sim, from apple retail store or from the carrier's store?

and if my phone is unlocked no-contract then does that mean i could buy multiple sims from various carrriers and switch between them?

I'm not positive if Apple sells SIM cards, but I know you can buy them from your carrier of choice. You can even buy a SIM card cutter off of eBay. That way you can turn a regular SIM into a Micro SIM.

Yes you can swap through sims as you wish!

You can buy SIM cards online too. You just have to have it activated with your carrier of choice. :)

G'day and welcome to the forum!!! :)

thanks so much
I'm not positive if Apple sells SIM cards, but I know you can buy them from your carrier of choice. You can even buy a SIM card cutter off of eBay. That way you can turn a regular SIM into a Micro SIM.

Yes you can swap through sims as you wish!

You can buy SIM cards online too. You just have to have it activated with your carrier of choice. :)

in your last statement, what do you mean by "activate", is it with ios5 or through the carrier?
Activation - The iPhone Wiki <-- i tried reading this website 3 times, can someone translate it into english?

sorry im learning slowly

thanks so much

in your last statement, what do you mean by "activate", is it with ios5 or through the carrier?
Activation - The iPhone Wiki <-- i tried reading this website 3 times, can someone translate it into english?

sorry im learning slowly

It's all good! By activation I mean you'll have to pick a carrier to use your SIM with and have it activated with them. The simplest solution would be to get a SIM activated through a carrier once you receive your new device. Then just pop it in and your good to go!

If you do swap provider sims about you will get texts info on setting up the voice mail each carrier each
time you swap.

No big deal just a heads up :)

If you need to do this there is an adapter to dual sim the iPhone4, also acts as additional battery.

Cost about £60 iirc.

At home with my brand new, Unlocked white iPhone 4S 16gb. Spent an hour at the store, got set up with iTunes, iCloud, the works...