What's new

Sudden battery life drop in 4s

Schar

Reaction score
Dear all,

Since a few days I am experiencing a significant loss in battery life with my Iphone 4s (bought 8 months ago, actively using it approx. 2 hours of usage each day; I about 200 apps installed).

Then today I found out something really interesting: my usage overview:

It says
- usage 14 hours 1 minutes
- standby 15 hours 17 minutes.

But I am sure today I only used the machine for a maximum of 1,5 hours without any heavy downloading, and I slept for at least 6 hours. My battery percentage is now 33 %. I charged it 15 hours 17 min ago

Any ideas someone? If it's an app that could be stuck, is there a way to find out which one?

Many thanks already!

Your battery life sounds amazing to me according to your usage stats.

If you listen to music a lot, then as long as music is playing...that will be counted as usage even if the device is locked.

200 apps huh?

How many of those 200 apps do you actually use?

I have 2 and a half springboard pages if apps..and that is it..and u barely use all of them.

Well I don't think 33 % is good after only 1,5 hours of usage (even if 15 hours of stand-by), is it? Plus it was much better before. Does anyone know of a way to find out which app might be acting up?

(No I only use a few of the 200, maybe 15. But I love having them.)

Well I don't think 33 % is good after only 1,5 hours of usage (even if 15 hours of stand-by), is it? Plus it was much better before. Does anyone know of a way to find out which app might be acting up?

(No I only use a few of the 200, maybe 15. But I love having them.)

Okay I see.

100% to 33% in just an hour and a half is really bad.

If you are jailbroken you can see exactly how many MHz each application uses. You can also see which apps are in the background. Tho 99% of apps cannot run in the background...they only get "paused" until you open it again.

Have you tried a full cycle charge?

Many thanks. A full cycle recharge didn't help at all.

Jailbroken is too technical for me, I think.

I tried an app "process pro" to see which apps are active, but it doesn't seem to work as well as I hoped it would (doesn't give a clear overview of which apps are active).

Should you have other suggestions, or perhaps a link to a non-technical page for doing the jailbreak, then I'd be grateful!

Schar said:
Many thanks. A full cycle recharge didn't help at all.

Jailbroken is too technical for me, I think.

I tried an app "process pro" to see which apps are active, but it doesn't seem to work as well as I hoped it would (doesn't give a clear overview of which apps are active).

Should you have other suggestions, or perhaps a link to a non-technical page for doing the jailbreak, then I'd be grateful!

Jailbreaking is as technical as you make it.

You don't have to install all kinds of tweaks.

No way jailbreaking itself causes battery drain.. It's what you install.

Some tweaks conflict with others as well.

"Close" all your apps by double clicking the home button twice and then hold down an icon until the red negative appears to close. You can also see which ones might be using location services currently if a purple arrow appears beside it in the settings.

Dear all,

I tried all the above but nothing helped. Still heavy battery drain (only lasts half a day now!) and usage time which nearly equals standby time even after 8 hours of me being asleep. Does anyone have a further suggestion? I tried:

- deleting mail accounts and putting them back
- let the battery be fully drained and recharge
- reset all settings
- hard reset (home and sleep/wake button simulatenously till apple logo appears)
- closing all open apps via double clicking home button

I am completely lost now. If nothing comes up, in a few hours I will reset the phone to factory settings, clearing all content. Hopefully that will help. If anyone should have a suggestion in the meantime, please let me know.

Many thanks!

Schar said:
Dear all,

I tried all the above but nothing helped. Still heavy battery drain (only lasts half a day now!) and usage time which nearly equals standby time even after 8 hours of me being asleep. Does anyone have a further suggestion? I tried:

- deleting mail accounts and putting them back
- let the battery be fully drained and recharge
- reset all settings
- hard reset (home and sleep/wake button simulatenously till apple logo appears)
- closing all open apps via double clicking home button

I am completely lost now. If nothing comes up, in a few hours I will reset the phone to factory settings, clearing all content. Hopefully that will help. If anyone should have a suggestion in the meantime, please let me know.

Many thanks!

Sounds to me that you did not do a proper full cycle charge.

A *Proper* Full Cycle Charge

1) charge batter to 100%..let sit for at least 1 hour after reaching 100%. Try to use as little as possible.

2) unplug...use as you normally would, whether it be heavy or light usage. Let it drain down to about 15%-5% battery life. (it is very important you do not plug your phone in at all during the draining process..DO NOT PLUG IN until you reach a low battery level)

3) once you got to 15%-5% battery life, plug device in...preferably the wall...or a "good" computer. If you have a cheap crappy computer,..then go with the wall outlet.

4) let charge to 100%...making sure to leave it on charge for *at least* 2 hours after it has reached 100%.

It is *EXTREMELY* important that you do not use your device at all or at least as little as possible during the final charge....this is Nola important when the device is passed 50% battery charge.

Once the device reaches 100% leave it plugged in for a good 2 hours and DON'T TOUCH IT.

Using the phone while trying to perform a full cycle charge completely disrupts the process...because as you use the device..the battery must stop charging...thus completely ruins the calibration process.

You cannot calibrate a scale and use it at the same time now can you? Well same goes for a Li-Ion battery.

Unless you performed the full cycle charge *EXACTLY* as I mentioned...then you completely and entirely wasted your time trying to calibrate your battery.

There is only *1* way to do it,..and it's what I showed you above.

Last edited: