What's new

Battery life just fell off a cliff!

pvanosta

Reaction score
My Iphone 4S just went from a 36 hour battery life to a 5 hour battery life for no visible reason.
I have not installed any new apps. There is nothing running in the background and I am not using the phone.

After 5 hours and 18 minutes in standby, it went from 100% battery to 7%.

What the ... ?

Anyone else have the same thing happen?

This started two days ago for no discernable reason...

Run a full soft reset on the phone and allow the system to settle in. Also, have you physically been anywhere different with the phone since the battery drop, specifically somewhere with cell service that is worse than usual?

Please define a full soft reset.
The answer to the other question, is no. I have not been anywhere out of the ordinary.

Try a hard reset hold the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears then release and let the phone re boot.

Also, for the record, my iphone 4s is jailbroken and has been for months.

I did the reset thing earlier today (the reboot). No change. Since then it went from 100% to 7% in less than 5.5 hours with zero use (just standby and email reeption).

Let it drain to 0 then recharge I without touching it to 100%. Close all apps to if any is open

The next step that I would have recommended would be a full restore through iTunes but seeing as you've jailbroken, if you do this, you'll probably lose jailbreak until it is updated for 5.1. That's really one of the only other things I can recommend to try getting your battery life back. Other than that, something may have happened to disrupt your battery itself. Not sure of much else you can do without remove the jailbreak with a full restore.

Update:
I did a soft reset (used the reset function in the Iphone / Settings / general / reset / reset all settings).

No change. Battery still draining at high speed (down to 65% after 2h 14mins of standby).

Also, the phone always feels warm to the touch where I don;t remember it doing that before.

Before I go to IOS 5.1 and lose my jail break, any other suggestions in the forum?

I too am having the same issue. for the last 4 days battery performance has plummeted. I am running 5.0.1. took out many jailbroken apps, tried airplane mode at work. I have a bb so the iphone is strictly used for surfing. Did soft and hard resets. I did make an error in reinstalling cydia while cydia was still installed which caused a whole bunch of other problems. Still battery is just going down before my eyes.

Ok so your issue started at the same time as mine and also on a JB iPhone 4S. I just updated to IOS 5.1 (losing the JB). Let's see if that makes a difference. I also see almost 1GB of 'Other' in my space usage bar in Itunes. I have closed all apps and done a reboot. Still there.

I did everything I could (shut down apps, reboot, full restore, etc...).
Nothing worked. My battery life on standby stayed around 5 hours. I took it to the Apple store yesterday. They ran a 2 minute diagnostic and gave me a brand new phone. I asked for more details about what happened to my old phone, but got a bunch of waffle. I decided to quit while I was ahead and take the new phone.

Yup, if they just gave you the new phone, I wouldn't push too hard. Good deal on the new phone. Glad that took care of it.