What's new

Sms tones?

ROBBSZX3

Reaction score
is it possible to make sms/mms and email tones for the iphone4...this is 1 thing i miss...all my other phones were easy...

Last edited:
Apple has never allowed the iPhone to use other tones for txt or SMS. That is one of the things you can do with the jailbreak.

i googled it and found a way but it does not specify weather it has to be jailbroken or not...there is a youtube that shows the step by step and what you need to dl in order to do this...what are the pros and cons of jailbraking....yet again another nooby ? lol

There won't be a jailbreak untill 4.1 is out. In my opinion it's not worth the hassle but to each his own.

i googled it and found a way but it does not specify weather it has to be jailbroken or not...there is a youtube that shows the step by step and what you need to dl in order to do this...what are the pros and cons of jailbraking....yet again another nooby ? lol

If you jailbreak you void your warranty. On the positive side you can access to thousands of apps not in iTunes some of which allow you to tether without paying extra for it thru AT&T and apparently creating custom mms tones is another.

If you jailbreak you void your warranty. On the positive side you can access to thousands of apps not in iTunes some of which allow you to tether without paying extra for it thru AT&T and apparently creating custom mms tones is another.

But the other thing is if you don't already have the unlimited Internet plan... Even with the tether you will burn up your data pan really fast :)

yes jailbreak is the only good way, upload the file to the ssh, actually you can download them directly from cydia and install it to make it easy if you can find one you like ;)

i used to have one up from mario as a tone lol

Sorry if this sounds like a retarded question. I have never had an iPhone before. Is it that you can not have tones for SMS messages at all, or just the ones that are from Apple? I like having ringtones and message tones, (though 99% of the time my phone is on vibrate). I would hate to lose that option.

yep, or just download the sms tones direct from cydia, before it was ssh only to upload sms tones to the folder, but now you can download one if there is one you like and it auto installs for you with out ssh, but ssh is a good app to have if you jailbreak