What's new

sms fail , but can phone the same people

Burnt Toast

Reaction score
Been having this problem were I can send sms to some people in my phone address and some others just come up undelivered . the only way to deliver the sms to the people that I cant send an sms to is to use my wifi at home any ideas please

Last edited:
I have that same problem - it sends me a text with a number that is the phone number (sometimes the full one sometimes the last 7 digits) followed by
"Error Invalid Number. Please resend using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code." Followed by my text.

I have removed contacts and directly entered the area code and number with the same results. It is only a select group of people, but I cannot text them. Very frustrating.
I can text these people from anyone else's phone or my old phone and it works, not on my 6S.

Have you checked under Messages settings that IMessages are turned on and also that Send as SMS is also ON?

I have removed contacts and directly entered the area code and number with the same results. It is only a select group of people, but I cannot text them. Very frustrating.
I can text these people from anyone else's phone or my old phone and it works, not on my 6S.

What do you mean with area code ?
I never need to enter the phone number any differently wherever the person is I seek.

I have checked and every thing is how it should be , still have the same problem

That can happen when you ha
I have that same problem - it sends me a text with a number that is the phone number (sometimes the full one sometimes the last 7 digits) followed by
"Error Invalid Number. Please resend using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code." Followed by my text.
it wants a 1 before the area code. That makes it a 10 digit code.

thats not making sence as I can call them without using the 1 b4 the area code im in New Zealand we have to put +64 infront of our numbers

Last edited:
I would try Reset Network Settings >General>Reset>Tap Reset Network Settings. You may need to enter your wifi passcode back in afterwards.

thats not making sence as I can call them without using the 1 b4 the area code
My wireless carrier requires 10 digits for text messages of any kind even for numbers I can call without an area code. In the US, you only get 10 digits with the 1 and area code added. Check with your carrier. That is the meaning of the error message quoted above.

In Canada you'd have 11 digits if you added both the 1 and the area code to a phone number.

1(XXX)XXX-XXXX

In Canada you'd have 11 digits if you added both the 1 and the area code to a phone number.

1(XXX)XXX-XXXX
Ooh, your right. Can't believe I messed up there but all the same, I know my wireless carrier requires the 1 to send a text. And sends that message when you forget to do so. But the more
I think of it, the more I am thinking that I never add the 1 to my contacts, the phone or the carrier does. I mean when I create the contact I don't put the 1 in but when I look at the contact later, it's there.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind me asking but don't you use whatsapp over there?

I don't because I have unlimited texting with my wireless service, others might be different.

So many people over here in DE use whatsapp it's unbelievable. Texting is 00.09 cents per time unless you have unlimited or you go over your limit photo messages are 00.39 cents, on whatsapp it's all free no sweat. And encrypted so they say.