What's new

Simultaneous Voice & Data - a few questions from a Verizon iPhone 5 user

jntdroid

Reaction score
#1 - I'm assuming that, for example, if I'm talking to my wife (both with iPhone 5's on Verizon), I cannot send her a multimedia message since we have no data connection, correct? Obviously, we could Facetime, eliminating that issue, but I'm just curious.

#2 - Will the iPhone 5 be VoLTE capable when Verizon rolls that out, or will that require different hardware? edit: found the answer to #2: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15813163&postcount=28

TIA!

Last edited:
To follow up to this, I just discovered something else where this lack of simultaneous voice/data is a big issue. This might be nothing new to Verizon iPhone users.

Long story short, if I'm talking on the phone and not connected to wifi, my imessage becomes a regular text message. The problem is, those using imessage trying to send me something - they don't "change over" immediately. For example, If my wife tries to send me a text, it will eventually come through, but there's a serious delay. In my testing, it's taken anywhere from 5-10 minutes, at which point I gave up and hung up, data reconnected, iMessage re-enabled, and all her messages came through. So in theory it could've taken longer than that had I given it the opportunity. And that's just for a regular text message. If she tried to send me a MMS, it won't go through at all until I hang up.

I realize these scenarios make up a small percentage of the time, but we moved back to Verizon from T-Mobile because of little things - and one of those little things was how often texts would get "hung up", then an hour later they'd all show up. I also realize this isn't Verizon's fault - well, unless you blame them for choosing CDMA years ago. I've read why Apple chose not to go the route of every other LTE device on Verizon, and, well, whatever, that's their choice. :) Maybe I've just been spoiled by having svdo in some form or fashion since LTE was released in early 2011...

Everything I've read seems to say that the processor the iPhone uses cannot utilize VZW's LTE correctly to allow it to talk and surf at the same time. I think we'll have to wait for VZW's new data network and a new iPhone. I doubt they can make the current iPhones work simultaniously. Of course, what do I know. It's just what I've read. Not even my 2 cents. Just a random reply to your ? :p