What's new

Sim Free

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
At what point will Apple offer the iphone 6 sim free? Right now, it can only be purchase for ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.?

At what point will Apple offer the iphone 6 sim free? Right now, it can only be purchase for ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.?
It depends on where you live. In Canada, the online Apple Store sells nothing but unlocked SIM free iPhones.

I believe ATT may unlock for travel if you take it to them, I would check with ATT to see if they offer this service for the iPhone 6 as well if you cant find the phone already unlocked

It depends on where you live. In Canada, the online Apple Store sells nothing but unlocked SIM free iPhones.

Interesting. I wonder why it is not the same in the U.S.? Can U.S. buyers purchase the phone from a Canadian store?

Interesting. I wonder why it is not the same in the U.S.? Can U.S. buyers purchase the phone from a Canadian store?
In order to buy from the Canadian Apple online store you need a Canadian iTunes account with a Canadian registered Apple ID. You also need a Canadian credit card.

Okay, I just spoke to tech support at ATT. The man I spoke to told me that the phones come with the ATT sim card, but it can be removed and the phone used on any other GSM network. He said if the phone did prove to be "locked," all one had to do is let ATT know, and ATT would "unlock" the phone. I hope this is true. Wish I had known this before.

But we have to unlock iPhone[emoji17]

Sent from Sari City Mazandaran Province Islamic Republic of Iran

But we have to unlock iPhone[emoji17]

Sent from Sari City Mazandaran Province Islamic Republic of Iran

Some countries will sell them unlocked and other countries carriers will unlock it for you, might be worth checking both to see if you are able to unlock the device in an official way

Well, I just purchased a brand new in the box 5s that is ATT issued. Seller promises I can use the phone on any network. Plan to take it to Cricket this weekend to see if they show it unlocked. If not, I will go to an ATT store and ask to have it unlocked. If I cannot get it unlocked, it goes back to the seller. Will let you all know what happens.

Tmobile is a gsm unlocked version. Well it's locked for 45 days, but after that you can switch to any gsm carrier.

Devices: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, iPod Touch.

Okay, my brand new, sealed in its box 5s arrived in the post today. I belled ATT to get them to unlock it. Last week one of their tech support people told me that it could be unlocked, no problem. Today, I was told that it cannot be unlocked unless it was first activated with ATT (contract) and was paid for two months. Then, another ATT customer service person told me six months.

Next, I contacted Cricket, which is owned by ATT. The store manager told me that the phone would work on their network. I asked what if I wanted to go back to Metro in six months or a year or whatever? Would the phone work on another network down the line? He said yes.

I am not sure who to believe any more.

try another sim card and see if it works? unless you dont happen to have your country sim, might be worth trying to get hold of one to try if you dont