What's new

Settings app crashes immediately upon launch

Kensterfly

Reaction score
I have been into "Settings" a few times this morning but have not reset anything. Suddenly, as soon as I touch the "Settings" icon it flashes to a blank, gray screen, then back to the home page. It does this every time. I have done a hard boot with no change. I have not tried putting it into DFU.
Everything else works fine.

Suggestions?

Follow up. I thought I would try a Restore and hopefully get back full function of the phone, including "Settings." I did a backup. When I click "restore from backup" it tells me to turn off "Find my Phone." Well... I CAN'T turn of "Find My Phone" because I can't get into Settings. Apparently, to do this repair, I need to be able to get into the very function that is not working that is requiring me to do the repair in the first place.

So, how can I do a restore without being able to turn off "Find My Phone?" Should I do "Restore iPhone" rather than "Restore Backup?" Will "Restore iPhone" totally clear out all data, music, apps, photos, etc? And if I do this, will I be able to reinstall all this data with a simple Sync?

I'm about to go on a business trip and bricking my phone right now would be a disaster for me. Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Follow up. I thought I would try a Restore and hopefully get back full function of the phone, including "Settings." I did a backup. When I click "restore from backup" it tells me to turn off "Find my Phone." Well... I CAN'T turn of "Find My Phone" because I can't get into Settings. Apparently, to do this repair, I need to be able to get into the very function that is not working that is requiring me to do the repair in the first place.

So, how can I do a restore without being able to turn off "Find My Phone?" Should I do "Restore iPhone" rather than "Restore Backup?" Will "Restore iPhone" totally clear out all data, music, apps, photos, etc? And if I do this, will I be able to reinstall all this data with a simple Sync?

I'm about to go on a business trip and bricking my phone right now would be a disaster for me. Can someone please help?

Thanks!

power your device down fully, then while turning it on hold the volume up button.
this will boot you into a safemode.

I'm replying to this thread in regards to people considering buying an iphone 5s, I had many faults with mine and then created this article on common faults,
to be aware of before you buy the phone. common problems with the iPhone 5s

Every device has the potential to fail and give the owner trouble. We are not in the business of telling anyone what device to purchase nor will we slam the manufacturer. If any member has a true issue my sense is the manufacture needs to be contacted and let them handle.

I'm guessing the OP's device may be jailbroken which negates the article you referenced.

I'm guessing the OP's device may be jailbroken which negates the article you referenced.

I am the OP and, No sir, the phone is not jail broken. My iP4 was JB'd but I have found no need to do so with the iP5.

I finally solved my problem by putting into DFU and doing a full restore as a new phone. I did a full back up first. I could not do a regular restore because it requires you to turn off "Find My Phone" and I couldn't do that because I couldn't get into 'Settings' in the first place, which is why I need to do a restore. Talk about a vicious circle. Anyway, it is all fixed now.

I do have a question about Safe Mode. I now understand HOW to put it into safe mode, but what does Safe Mode do for me? I didn't even know there was a Safe Mode for iPhone.

Thanks!

[...snip...]

I do have a question about Safe Mode. I now understand HOW to put it into safe mode, but what does Safe Mode do for me? I didn't even know there was a Safe Mode for iPhone.

Thanks!

Safe Mode is for those with jailbroken phones; there is nothing like it for stock iPhones. For those with jail broken phones, Safe Mode is designed to "turn off" all Mobile Substrate tweaks because one (or more) of them are interfering with phone operations. So, Safe Mode is a diagnostic tool so the jail breaker can begin to look for the problem that is causing an app, or the phone, to crash (or not work).

Again, however, as you are not jail broken, it's not an option for stock users.

Marilyn

I think goldhunter is the author of the article she referenced and it seems to repleat with facts known to the author and of no use except as a means for her rant.