What's new

selling iphone help

john doe

Reaction score
long story short ,my phone got wet . the touch screen no longer works . it still turns on ,takes a charge ect,ect....but i am selling it on ebay .
since the screen is non responsive i cant even open it . is there still a way to reset the phone? that does not require user input?
before you ask i do not use the cloud .
do i have any recourse?

I'm afraid that without a functioning touchscreen to won't be able to reset the iPhone to factory settings to erase your data. If you had used iCloud and had Find My iPhone activated you could use it to remotely erase your iPhone. The danger of selling it on eBay is that the buyer could replace the screen and possible access your data. You may want to reconsider selling the iPhone unless you can get a replacement screen installed for long enough to erase your iPhone. You could try contacting Apple to see if there is any way they could help.

i tried to get access to the phone thru my wifes iphone thru find my iphone but since its not on the network it couldnt connect .
screen lock is on the phone .
doubt theres really anything they could get ,i dont use paypal or credit cards thru my phones .
even if the new owner replaces the screen it would still be locked with my passcode .that would force them to reset the device not?

i tried to get access to the phone thru my wifes iphone thru find my iphone but since its not on the network it couldnt connect .
doubt theres really anything they could get ,i dont use paypal or credit cards thru my phones .
even if the new owner replaces the screen it would still be locked with my passcode .that would force them to reset the device not?
What you can do then is set Find My iPhone to erase your iPhone. The command will be there, waiting, until the iPhone connects to the internet when it will then be erased.

What you can do then is set Find My iPhone to erase your iPhone. The command will be there, waiting, until the iPhone connects to the internet when it will then be erased.
hhmm i will look into this .not sure the button was lit as it couldnt find the phone . i will let you know tonight if that works

what if i take my old sim card and insert it into the phone ? it might connect to the network , i still wouldnt be able to use it but if it connects i can erase it with her phone

Can he not plug phone into computer and wipe it using iTunes on a computer?? I'm asking. So don't flame me please.
I haven't used ITunes on a computer for so long that I don't remember what all can be done. Or Maybe get the phone repaired then sell it?? Or take it to an Apple Store or one of many phone repair shops located on just about every corner of town these days LOL!! Hope you get it resolved. But I totally agree with others. Don't sell it until you have wiped all data off the phone!!! Not unless you want someone possibly getting a lot of personal info. And I get you didn't Store much on the phone. But you don't want to take that chance for a few dollars. I know I wouldn't.
Again, hope you get the issue resolved. Good luck.

Can he not plug phone into computer and wipe it using iTunes on a computer?? I'm asking. So don't flame me please.
I haven't used ITunes on a computer for so long that I don't remember what all can be done. Or Maybe get the phone repaired then sell it?? Or take it to an Apple Store or one of many phone repair shops located on just about every corner of town these days LOL!! Hope you get it resolved. But I totally agree with others. Don't sell it until you have wiped all data off the phone!!! Not unless you want someone possibly getting a lot of personal info. And I get you didn't Store much on the phone. But you don't want to take that chance for a few dollars. I know I wouldn't.
Again, hope you get the issue resolved. Good luck.
In order to do that you have to unlock the iPhone and enter the Apple ID password before the iPhone can be restored to factory condition. These passwords all have to be entered on the iPhones touchscreen, ehich is currently non functional, hence the OP's problem.

what if i take my old sim card and insert it into the phone ? it might connect to the network , i still wouldnt be able to use it but if it connects i can erase it with her phone
If you're currently in a location that has a WiFi hotspot you normally connect to, it's possible that turning on the iPhone with the power button will allow the iPhone to automatically connect. Then, if you've set find my iPhone to erase the iPhone, it may erase at that point. You've nothing to lose by trying.

Reactions: 933
If you're currently in a location that has a WiFi hotspot you normally connect to, it's possible that turning on the iPhone with the power button will allow the iPhone to automatically connect. Then, if you've set find my iPhone to erase the iPhone, it may erase at that point. You've nothing to lose by trying.
gonna try tonight and report back .

If it's locked with your password, they would not be able to reset it and you would be stuck refunding them by eBay.

you guys are slacking ,i found the solution

"
Connect your iPhone to iTunes and put the iPhone into DFU mode. Do this by pressing and holding both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for 10 seconds. At this point the screen will turn black, and the iPhone will appear to be off. Continue holding just the Home button at this point.

Itunes will then recognize that you have a phone in recovery mode and it will display your phone info. Click restore to reset to factory settings."

this worked!!