What's new

Sell the iPhone 4?

Wait are you serious about being charged the full amount for the phone? So if I sell it ATT will end up charging me a lot of money anyway?

I'm thinking about selling it simply because I don't think the iPhone 4 is worth the $200 I payed plus the potential $450 I could make as profit, though I haven't decided yet. I mean, the 3g is functional and works.

I get a discount with ATT through my employer and I'm on a family plan, so I dunno, it doesn't cost much to be with AT&T.

Wait are you serious about being charged the full amount for the phone? So if I sell it ATT will end up charging me a lot of money anyway?

I'm thinking about selling it simply because I don't think the iPhone 4 is worth the $200 I payed plus the potential $450 I could make as profit, though I haven't decided yet. I mean, the 3g is functional and works.

I get a discount with ATT through my employer and I'm on a family plan, so I dunno, it doesn't cost much to be with AT&T.
Yes, they will charge you, but you should ask, because it might depend on a few things like your upgrade deal, where you bought it, what kind of contract you signed up for. This is what I was told at the Apple store by the ATT rep that was there on launch day. I wanted to buy the second one for my wife (bought the first one for another line and at Best Buy), but didn't want it activated since I wasn't going to give it to her right away. They said I had 30 days to get it activated or I would be charged the full $600 for the phone. I didn't ask for any other details at the time since it didn't matter, I would have the phone activated in a week.

Anyway, It could be that they don't charge you since you are keeping the new 2 year contract which is all ATT really cares about. But here's what I still don't get so, I have to ask again, why not upgrade man? By signing a new contract and selling the iPhone4, you're paying ATT for at least the next 18 months to use an old phone that doesn't even fully support the new OS (in fact don't upgrade it to ios4, I did with an old 3G and it's terrible). Plus, the iP4 is so much better you won't believe you ever suffered through the 3G :D . I can't help to think you'll have some regrets.

Ok, enough of my soapboxing, lol! Good luck with what ever you decide!

Well, **** the iphone 4. I decided to keep it and I activated it, and I lose signal like crazy and get dropped calls if I hold it a certain way. Apparently this is a huge (HUGE) design flaw by apple and is spreading around the internet. I'm most likely going to return this phone as it has become completely unusable as a phone/3g device.

My old 3g works fine in my room, when I use this thing, if my fingers touch the bottom left corner (which is the case 90% of the time), I lose all signal and the call is dropped. I'm going to experiment more, but this isn't good at all. For a company that is so concerned with user experience, this is the biggest mistake since Enron. I mean, what is the first thing you do when you use a phone....you pick it up with your hand!! If you have to consciously think about the way you pick it up, its a flaw (the only object I think of that I am careful with on how I hold it is a knife, this isn't a knife).

I've heard this bumper **** can fix it, but why should I pay $30 for their mistake? Not to mention I heard the bottom part is a few millimeters to small, so I can't put the charger in it without taking it off.

Seriously??

At first I wasn't gonna get a case, but saw the iFrogz Luxe Lean and it looks awesome on (the grey one with the side venting and soft touch backing- super thin), plus I can't imagine going nude with an all glass phone. Forget the ugly POS bumper. If you like that look, then google the DIY bumper protection using a Livestrong-type band.

FWIW, I've never had the reception problem, no matter what I tried, case or not. Sorry that you are, but getting the case and maybe that OS update rumored to drop soon will fix it all.

I experimented with my phone at work, I'm not getting the problem, BUT, at work I'm 200 feet up and right next to a cell site, so I doubt there is anything in the world that could prevent the signal from reaching the cell site.

I'm going to try experimenting around my neighborhood and other places that aren't as close to a cell site (and not 200 feet off the ground) to see what happens.

Since it's a hardware defect, I doubt a software patch can fix this. The bumper will probably work because your fingers can't connect the two parts of the antenna...(anything that is non-conductive will technically work).

I still got 13 days to return this phone and go back to my 3G.

I charge my phone every night IN the bumper. Not sure why you'd be having the problem.